Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My CPU is always running at 100%  (Read 4181 times)

Grynch999

Topic Starter

My CPU is always running at 100%
    « on: October 15, 2008, 04:12:10 PM »
    I installed SP3 for windows xp and out of nowhere my CPU starts running at 100 percent all the time when nothing is even happening.  My system idle will say 99% meaning my CPU should be able to use 99% percent more processing power than it is, but the CPU usage is constantly at 100%.  So I wiped my computer and reinstalled windows XP, and got all the updates and it always messes up when I installed sp3.  So I tried again.  Wiped my comp and the same thing happened when I installed SP3.  Is anyone one else having the same problems or have any advice?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My CPU is always running at 100%
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:53:31 PM »
    Thank you for sharing that with us!  :-*
    But tell us, was it OK with SP2?  ???
    Why do you want to use SP3?
    I have it on one machine and it works good. On another it really messed up and I had to give it up.  :'(
    Do a Google or Yahoo on "SP3 woes, exact phrase. On Google I got 4,830 hits on that phrase. Of course, 4,830 people maybe are wrong!  :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:34:22 AM »
    Where are you getting this info from ? ?
    Depending on which window you are looking at 100% should be the number...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:48:01 AM »
      I installed SP3 for windows xp and out of nowhere my CPU starts running at 100 percent all the time when nothing is even happening.  My system idle will say 99% meaning my CPU should be able to use 99% percent more processing power than it is, but the CPU usage is constantly at 100%.  So I wiped my computer and reinstalled windows XP, and got all the updates and it always messes up when I installed sp3.  So I tried again.  Wiped my comp and the same thing happened when I installed SP3.  Is anyone one else having the same problems or have any advice?

seems to be that theres a rogue proccess that is always using the CPU time. Grynch, bring up your Task Manager(by pressing CTRL+ALT+Delete and hit 'Task Manager' on the Windows Security Dialog Box), goto proccesses, and give us a list of all the proccesses running.
      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.