Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Msn mail problem  (Read 6010 times)

solarsarah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Msn mail problem
    « on: December 16, 2008, 04:29:32 AM »
    All of the email saved to my computer have disappeared.  My mail server is MSN and OS is Vista.  This occured after installing Network Magic 5.0 upgrade.  (I think)  I suspect the email is there, it is just a problem with accessing it.  Please help!  MSN Live support has not been very helpful!

Raptor

Re: Msn mail problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:48:41 AM »
    You're going to have to define 'Saved to'. IE: What E-mail client were you using and why would Network Magic be part of the problem?

solarsarah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:02:26 AM »
      Thanks very much for responding.  I will try to explain.

In MSN Live mail there are folders to store email messages.  These are listed to the left of the main in box screen.  There are a group of folders which are stored on "My Computer" which only I can access from the computer on which they were stored.  There is another group of folders that I can access from any computer after logging in to my email account.  The email messages in question are from the folder located on my computer.

After addressing the problem with an MSN technical representative via live chat, and with another tech rep via phone, I was informed that the lost messages are unrecoverable.  I'm out of luck, I think.  According to my theory, (which doesn't mean much, I'll admit) the messages should still be there.  It is the access that is corrupted. 

There are many people having similar problems.  I base this on the number of posts on the MSN Live forum.  I think MSN screwed up.  Regretably, I don't know enough to fix it.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:08:34 AM »
      How you can put up with Live mail is beyond me, the endless spam and interface changes + the insane amount of cookies you have to accept make me shiver each time I log in ... Which is once a year or so.

Before we continue;

I'd very much recommend an alternative E-mail service such as GMX.com or Gmail.com.
      As an E-mail client I'd use either Outlook Express or Thunderbird. Preferably the latter as it comes with a built-in spam filter.
      You can most likely auto-forward all your E-mail from your live account if Microsoft was kind enough to provide you with that option.

Onto the subject of your lost mail;

Can you tell me how I can set up Windows Live Hotmail (Assuming it is the same as MSN Live Mail) to store messages on my computer? That way I can see in what kind of format they're stored and where.

solarsarah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
        I need you to explain a little more what you would like me to do.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »
        I need you to explain a little more what you would like me to do.

The function you named doesn't seem to be standard (Either that or I can't find it). Can you tell me how to configure Windows Live Mail so that I can discover his this function works?

Don't delete your recent Internet activity, by the way otherwise you'll probably never be able to retrieve your E-mail.

solarsarah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:06:29 PM »
          I have uninstalled and reinstalled MSN.  I heard of a security breach with IE and have started using Firefox.  So the most recent internet activity is toast.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »
          So this feature you speak of wasn't  browser based but came with that program-bundle released by Microsoft?

Ah, well, uh in that case if you removed the program and reinstalled it, it's probably really gone...

Glad to read you're using Firefox, though. Welcome to the club!

solarsarah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
            I really like it a lot!  This thing with missing emails really blows!  I have a short term memory disorder, due to encephalitis.  I use tricks to help me function.  Being able to reference my old emails was one of them.  When I was on the phone with Verizon tech support, I was told to keep my stored emails in the folder that is accessible from any computer that I log into.  From what I am reading in forums, people lost those emails too!  I think that the way this is being handled sucks!  They (MSN) are claiming that it is user error.  (the losing of emails)  There are too many people that this is happening to for it to be everyone's fault but MSN.   

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
            Well, you can always consider switching to a better E-mail service like GMX.com or Gmail.com and a more 'robust' E-mail client such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook Express. The latter comes standard with Windows XP.

Of course, if you have memory related problems learning a new system might be very problematic. Here are some links that might get you started if you're willing to try;

http://www.gmail.com
            http://www.GMX.com
            http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
            Using Outlook Express

solarsarah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 07:37:44 PM »
              You read my mind!  I was going to ask you your thoughts on that! :)