Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Batch file for Windows XP  (Read 2298 times)

slamaina

Topic Starter

Batch file for Windows XP
    « on: October 17, 2008, 07:02:31 AM »
    I have been actively using computers since 1979 so I am quite familiar with batch files in a DOS environment.  I find the are certain tasks that I do over and over in Windows XP and I would like to write a batch file to bring this repetition down to just one click. 

The following are tasks that I would like to have batch files for:

1.  Click an icon to open the same group of  4 windows and  if possible sized so they are all visible (like my screen had been quartered).

2.  Click an icon to search for a file in a specific directory along with its subdirectories no matter what my current window/directory is and show the results in a window and not a dos shell environment so that I can just click on the file to open it.  I know that I can search the whole computer but I have over 1 TB of files so a general search takes some time.  Usually I have to navigate to the window I want, click "Search" from the toolbar, pick "all files and folders" from the side bar and the type in the file name I am looking for.  I want to click once and then type in the file name.

3.  Format/erase everything on a SD card or thumb drive and except for one file (always the same exact file). 

There are other things that I already use batch files for.  I am good at DOS, I grew up on it but I haven't figures out how to use DOS to do thinks like open a window in the Windows environment.

Slam
    [email protected]

Dias de verano

Re: Batch file for Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:19:24 AM »
    You should have posted this in the MS-DOS forum which, despite its name, is devoted to batch programming topics for MS-DOS and all versions of Windows. (The command prompt in Windows NT, 2000, XP and Vista is not "MS-DOS")

Number 3 will be quite simple but 1 and 2 would require third-party software and/or use of programming tools like Visual Basic which can access the Windows API. (The free program CMDOW is good for opening windows with specific sizes and positions)