Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive  (Read 2973 times)

ocspsk8er

Hard Drive
« on: April 23, 2004, 10:46:16 AM »
When I went to change my harddrives from a 4g to a 40g, i turned on my system and the moniter showed a message that sayd that the operating system couldn't be found. Please help!

merlin

Re: Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 12:20:12 PM »
what o/s is this some older system have trouble supporting large h/d and some you have to enter the values this link may help you a little>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q80304

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 02:49:25 PM »
Er.. did you install an OS on the new harddrive?

ocspsk8er

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 09:37:38 PM »
Joleen...it wouln't even let me get the chance to....

ocspsk8er

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 09:38:20 PM »
Windows 200 Pro

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:30:56 AM »
    ocspsk8er....LOL .....the problem is youve got your puter looking for Win 2oo pro ........I think you want Win 2000 Pro.....   Go to this site and it will walk you through the installation.
    http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/56840.html

Hope this helps you .
    dl65   ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MetalMilitia

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 10:39:44 AM »
    ok, so you have taken out the existing 4gb HDD and put in a 40gig? what you need to do is change the boot sequence in the bios (press del, when it posts)

its usually in a section called somthing like this....

Once you have located the boot sequence options (may be listed as first boot device, second boot...ect) you need to set your CD ROM drive as the first boot device.
    Then save changes and restart with your windows CD in and it should automatically run or it may say press any key to boot from CD ROM. Then it is just a case of formatting the drive and installing windows which is all done from the CD menu.