Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Raid Controller  (Read 4170 times)

David Carpio

Raid Controller
« on: March 20, 2005, 01:09:49 PM »
I am putting together a pc in my home to act as a desktop and server.  three other pc's in the home will be networked and with important files stored on the network drives.  I run an accounting business which files are extremely sensitive and several photoshop  and video files.

The case is an ATX form factor, I have had thoughts of getting a raid controller because of the benefits of mirroring and increasing speed.   I have not purchased the motherboard and processor  - Will the p4 motherboard support anything higher than raid 1 or do I have to a server set up?  What would you do?

2k dummy

Re: Raid Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:24:40 AM »
I recommend Promise raid controllers. Depending on the degree of speed and data protection required, select a model that gives you exactly what you want. Stripped arrays provide the best speed, mirrored arrays the best data protection. With some controllers you can use both. I personally use the mirrored raid, since for me speed is not tantamount.