Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD drive help needed. newbie dumb question warning.  (Read 2091 times)

timmyn

Topic Starter

CD drive help needed. newbie dumb question warning.
    « on: October 28, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
    Hi.  I dont know much about these things, so here it goes, and thankyou in advance for helping.
    I have a Dell D610, and a Dell 620.  The I have to turnn the D620 back into work(it's basically brand new), but they are donating a bunch of laptops to a school.
    My question is, the 610 I'm keeping has a working but used for a year or so TS-L162c Cd-Rom drive.  The 620 I have to surrender has a HL-DT-ST GCC4244 CDRW/DVD ???   I noticed I could switch one w/ the other, but should I?  Is the other one really any better?  Will I have to switch any drivers or anything?  Thankyou gain for any help in this matter.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CD drive help needed. newbie dumb question warning.
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
    Sounds like a moral dilemna...i'd ask the IT people if they mind and if not swap in the newer model.
    It shouldn't need drivers if it's running anything later than WinME...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

timmyn

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
      Thanks for the reply.  I'll switch the unit then.  They are fine w/ doing that, I just wondered if one was better than the other.   Incidently the reason they are dumping the 620's is they have surpluses of 610 batteries, and none for the 620, so they figured it would be cheaper to keep the 610's out there.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:37:59 PM »
      Thanks for the reply.  I'll switch the unit then.  They are fine w/ doing that, I just wondered if one was better than the other.   Incidently the reason they are dumping the 620's is they have surpluses of 610 batteries, and none for the 620, so they figured it would be cheaper to keep the 610's out there.

Don't ya just Love Corporate logic ? ?

Have them send me one...i'll pay shipping/insurance.
      I'm my own favorite charity case ... ;D
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "