Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Realtek AC97 help, please  (Read 3044 times)

marybecs

Topic Starter

Starter

Realtek AC97 help, please
    « on: October 23, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
    My sound suddenly disappeared and after the usual tests and a couple of days thinking I downloaded the appropriate device driver.  This did not work, so I decided to delete Realtek AC97 and re-install  :-[   I know!!  :-[  I am reasonably able but not technical at all and thought I could just re-install and the problem would be solved. It didn't work like that, I cannot find anyway to install the sound system only the driver  :'(   Whilst there is probably no hope for me, is there any hope for my computer.  Any help would be very much appreciated. Please  :D

Saviour

Re: Realtek AC97 help, please
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »
    Have you tried a System Restore to a date prior to this happening?

marybecs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »
      Thank you, I have done that and it has restored my Realtek much to my relief.  :)   I am now where I was without sound.  When I try to place the volume control icon on the task bar it says:

Windows cannot display the volume control on the task bar because the volume control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

No good, also in my efforts it has said I do not have SndVol32.exe installed.  I am completely lost here, because it was working fine one moment and nothing the next for no known reason.  Anyone know what is happening, please?

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:58:31 PM »
      You'll have to go int Add/Remove Programs through your Control Panel.

Click Add/Remove Windows Components on the left...then look for multimedia and make sure you have that selected for your computer.  If so, click OK and it should install this component of Windows.

Let me know if you're still experiencing issues.

marybecs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
        There is not a box for multimedia.  :(
        I have gone through the troubleshooting and it is telling me that it is working properly.  I am so tired, and think I will have to start making tracks to bed as I am liable to loose patience and do something else I will regret, making a bad situation worse.  :-[
        My time may different to yours as I am in England.  Thank you so much for your help and if there is anything else you can think of I will be very grateful, but need to look at it tomorrow.

Gratefully  :)

Mary

Saviour

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 06:11:20 PM »
        Please follow the directions below as prescribed by Microsoft's KB Article 319095:

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:

1.   Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.

2.   Click Start, and then click Run.

3.   In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4.   Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):

CD-ROM drive:
        cd i386
        expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):

e:
        cd i386
        expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

5.   Type exit to quit the command prompt.

6.   Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

marybecs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 07:04:10 AM »
          THANK YOU, SAVIOUR  :)

I did as you suggested and finally I have got the sound, you are a star.  :-* :-* :-*

Saviour

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:12:42 AM »
          You're welcome, marybecs...

Glad to be of service...