Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stuck on 640 x 480 res  (Read 2026 times)

firedog11ku

Topic Starter

Rookie

stuck on 640 x 480 res
    « on: October 23, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
    I have an old gateway desktop that was given to me.  I use it as a TV where I work.  About a week ago it stopped loading.  I would see the gateway logo and then the windows screen would come up and had lots of streaks that looked like rain through it.  then it would go to a green screen and not do anything.  I couldn't even go in in safe mode.  So I re-installed windows 98 from the rescue disk.  It still wouldn't load, but I got in through the safe mode and took out some of the files that were locking up the virus disk like video games and accounting software.  I finally got it to work without safe mode, but it asks everytime I turn it on which mode to start in.  When I tried to change the screen resolution and color settings, it always goes back to the 16-bit 640 X 480.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

senthilvalli

Intermediate

Re: stuck on 640 x 480 res
      « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
      can you try enable VGA mode? ???

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: stuck on 640 x 480 res
      « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:44:38 AM »
      DLoad install and run Everest Home...this will inventory all your components and provide links for drivers...
      Sounds like the video driver needs re-installed.
      Any problems Post back.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "