Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Word Cannot Delete Horizontal Line  (Read 24115 times)

jonjon1983

Topic Starter

Microsoft Word Cannot Delete Horizontal Line
    « on: October 24, 2008, 05:16:12 AM »
    Tried doing a search but cannot find anything relating to my problem.

I am using Microsoft Word 2002. I created a horizontal black line by typing a lot of underscores, this changed it to a thicker line that I cannot remove. It cannot be selected, I also tried moving the line down the page by pressing enter and cut pasting what I wanted above but then another line appears, as well as the first one. It is very irritating.

Can someone help please?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Microsoft Word Cannot Delete Horizontal Line
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:29:25 AM »
    Click under the line and press Backspace or click above the line and press Delete.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:31:02 AM »
    Wait a sec, sorry. That didn't work for me. :-[
    You need to highlight all the text right above and below the line and press Delete.

jonjon1983

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:34:21 AM »
      Thanks!!!!!!  ;D

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:35:18 AM »
       ;)

senthilvalli

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:38:20 AM »
        also you try all text select after you click U than remove horizontal line. :)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 05:40:06 AM »
        also you try all text select after you click U than remove horizontal line. :)
        He means the line you get if you hold down either the underscore or negative button and press Enter.

TheMoose

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »
        I ran into a similar problem in Microsoft Word 2003, but for a different reason.

In a nutshell, this problem appeared for me when I incorrectly altered a table border in a Microsoft Word 2003 document. I wanted to highlight certain cells with a thick border in a table in my MS Word document, so I highlighted the table, right clicked, and selected "borders and shading". In my haste, I accidentally went to the tab that said "Page Border" (which allows you to set up borders around every page) rather than "Borders" (which applies to a table or subset of a table that you have selected). The "border" and "page border" tabs have nearly identical border-manipulating button layouts, thus its very easy  to confuse the two functions if you're working fast. So I didn't even know that I mistakenly inserted a thick black line "border" on the bottom of every page in my document. To make things worse, I was so focused on altering my data table (and fatigued), that  I didn't make the immediate connection that this line which appeared near the bottom of every page was related to the page border commands I recently issued.

This line that "appeared" was unlike any I had seen appear on MS Word documents before, as there was no apparent way to manipulate it. For example,  text would just pass through it when I typed or deleted (as if it were part of the background), and if I started a new page, the black line would be there too.

What I had to do, was select a table on my document, right click, then go to "borders and shading", then go to the "page borders" tab, and erase any borders that were there (by clicking "none").

It was a real hassle figuring this out, over an hour of work wasted. I hope this helps someone else out there!

kimba-lion

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
          Regarding the "How to remove the horizontal line from MS Word" problem.

One Word makes this problem different for many. That word is FOOTER. When the horizontal line is in a footer it is more of a *censored*. But it can be done! Read on.

Having now spent the better part of a day (endless blog surfing and Google queries) dealing with this problem (in MS Word 2007), I want to point out that a number of people in the replies were suffering the same problem as me - but it was NOT being solved by the solutions posted. As far as I know it has not been answered adequately on ANY of the forums. The problem was a horizontal line being automatically placed in the FOOTER section of the document.

Let me be clear - it is NOT a footnote separator issue.

It IS (ultimately ... ) a border clearing issue BUT, as was noted several times, highlighting the little one could of the line (in my case next to the page number) and then selecting "no borders" did NOT get rid of the line. BUT, it did something odd. In my case it jumped the line DOWN so it appeared BELOW (instead of above) my page number. But the *censored* line was STILL there! At this point I was pretty much ready to give up. Some people have reported that it jumped the line up. It would appear that it jumps the line up and down – the important thing is that the line moves.

BECAUSE - this weird wrinkle turned out to be a blessing, BECAUSE, it meant I could now highlight the page number (now above the line), the dreaded horizontal line, AS WELL as the space BELOW the dreaded line. At this point, selecting the "no borders" option once more – finally deleted the line. FINALLY!!!!!

Repeating this once on another page saw it disappear on every one of my 365 page footers. Allelujah.

Feel free to post this on your site as an update - it may save many others time and PAIN. BTW, I am not a tech or MS Word guru by any means - I just got lucky with trial and error - eventually. I hope it works for others out there.