Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot up  (Read 1764 times)

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer won't boot up
    « on: October 23, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
    hi, really hope someone can help.

My girlfriend's PC won't stay on for longer than 5 minutes without restarting itself, and usually doesn't even get as far as loading windows before doing it. can anyone think what may be causing this or how to fix it? unfortunately I don't know what the spec is, just that is a desktop PC running windows xp

hagstrompro

Greenhorn

Re: Computer won't boot up
      « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »
      Sounds like a virus/ probably a worm. Format and start over. If you have the proper disks. The best way to handle this situation is to just redo the clean it and redo the OS. There may be some other problems such as power supply or mother board. But it depends if the OS tries to repair itself or not. IF the OS can not get control of the computer then I would suggest reformat and redo the XP OS. But do not try this if you do not have the proper software. Just doing an overlay of the OS may work, but not likely.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:52:24 AM »
      We need alot more info on this machine and what happened prior to this...else it's purely guesswork.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:56:34 AM »
      Quote from: hagstrompro
      Sounds like a virus/ probably a worm. Format and start over. If you have the proper disks. The best way to handle this situation is to just redo the clean it and redo the OS.
      I hate it when people say this. Formatting and starting over is not the only option when it comes to a malware infection.