Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dead Computer  (Read 4126 times)

tpao6spd

Dead Computer
« on: March 23, 2005, 11:52:12 AM »
I'm helping a friend to troubleshoot his Compaq Presario 700US notebook computer. The original problem was the computer, running XP, would lockup all the time. When I got the computer, I booted it up and it locked up after running for a few minutes. I shut it off and went to sleep. The next morning when I really wanted to troubleshoot the system, the computer won't boot at all.

There is no beep, no BIOS post. I do know the fan turns on, the diskett and other parts will click, but no screen display at all and can't get into the BIOS setup. I went through the troubleshoot procedure with the tech support and the only thing they suggest is to take it to Radio Shack, their service center. Well, it's out of warranty and giving it to the Radio Shack is not real high on my list. All the usual of disconnecting other hardware have been tried during the troubleshooting.

I either have a bad motherboard or CPU. How can I tell if I don't have any spares to test? The CPU is almost cheap enough, but it's still about $85 from the cheapest place I can find. Is there a difference between Compaq AMD Duron 900 for notebook and plain AMD Duron 900 for notebook?

Please help anyway you can. Thanks.

merlin_2

Re: Dead Computer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 11:57:49 AM »
Is there enough power..remove the hard-drive<normally under the battery tray>> and then boot..it........ a message will be displayed on the screen...does this happen!!

tpao6spd

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 12:04:29 PM »
Yes, the hard drive and other components were removed, but the computer still does the same.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 12:16:06 PM »
replace the hard drive..........power it up via the mains  adapter...........what other components??not the ram stick..was it?/ have you changed any ram..or any other components...and check that the screen wheel on the side of the led screen is NOT turned down...also check the cmos battery.......under the keyboard........see compaq manual.....to go any father...on this........ok!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:17:39 PM by merlin_2 »

tpao6spd

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 12:50:52 PM »
replace the hard drive..........power it up via the mains  adapter...........what other components??not the ram stick..was it?/ have you changed any ram..or any other components...and check that the screen wheel on the side of the led screen is NOT turned down...also check the cmos battery.......under the keyboard........see compaq manual.....to go any father...on this........ok

Did the power up via main adapter already. I meant modem, hard drive and RAM was taking out one at a time and together. No new parts. CMOS battery looked good. Left the battery out for about 20 minutes. No screen wheel on this model.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 12:56:57 PM »
have you replace the cpu........with paste on the back of it..?? ..back in the mobo........and the ram.....thinking!!!take out the cmos battery for five mins.......then replace it.....now power it up..with all the bits..hd/ram cpu vid card  etc.....

tpao6spd

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 01:58:35 PM »
have you replace the cpu........with paste on the back of it..?? ..back in the mobo........and the ram.....thinking!!!take out the cmos battery for five mins.......then replace it.....now power it up..with all the bits..hd/ram cpu vid card  etc.....

As stated original post, I don't have spare motherboard or CPU. I wanted know if there is a way to see which is bad. All other suggestions you've made have been done.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »
What  have you done to it.

List: here>.

_______________________________________ _____
What are the specs of it........if you wish you solve this problem...info is needed.......or its back to walmart....and the dumpster......
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 02:15:05 PM by merlin_2 »

tpao6spd

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 02:46:12 PM »
O.K. Further checking showed that the fan is not running. There is no voltage at the Mobo fan connection. The CPU does not get warm at all. I supplied 5V to the fan and the fan works fine. Since this is a notebook computer, does the Mobo turn on the fan or CPU. Since the CPU stays cool, is this CPU bad or could it still be the Mobo?

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 04:49:13 PM »
maybe psu...........or mobo............hard to tell....what did you do to it......still waiting a answer as to why it packed up....or was it bought from urge bay like it?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 05:39:04 PM »
O.K. Further checking showed that the fan is not running. There is no voltage at the Mobo fan connection. The CPU does not get warm at all. I supplied 5V to the fan and the fan works fine. Since this is a notebook computer, does the Mobo turn on the fan or CPU. Since the CPU stays cool, is this CPU bad or could it still be the Mobo?

Not supposed to be voltage at the fan.  Fan comes on at predetermined temperature, measured by temp sensor.  CPU is not getting power, motherboard is not getting power.  Maybe bad internal voltage regulator.