Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Control pannel and internet options + more  (Read 2658 times)

Chokonen

Control pannel and internet options + more
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:37:27 PM »
 ??? I am stumped, usually I can muttle my way through most of the window stuff, but alass this I need much help with.  I logged on after an up date, and found that IE& was running without add ons, no biggy, just go to internet options and manage the add ons right, wrong, can not access internet options from IE, and when I went to control pannel to access it just flashes.  ran sfc /scannow to check but no avail.  cannot download from the internet to get a fix nor does my cd work, one of the drivers are corupt, so I can not fix that way either.. ???
I have to use outlook to access the internet in any fasion

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Control pannel and internet options + more
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Can you try a System Restore to a few days before the problem started.

8bamboos

Rookie

• If one steals from another, somebody else will ste
    Re: Control pannel and internet options + more
    « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »
     please read this   ;)Clicking "Internet Options" on the Tools menu returns error message
    SYMPTOMS
    When you click the Internet Options command on the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:
    This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the Inetcpl.cpl file is missing from the Windows \System or %SystemRoot%\System32 folder or if a restriction is set on the NoBrowserOptions Windows registry value.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order that they are presented.

Method 1: Extract a new copy of the Inetcpl.cpl file
    Extract a new copy of the Inetcpl.cpl file from the Internet Explorer distribution files or reinstall Internet Explorer.

For more information about how to extract files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    129605 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/129605/) How to extract original compressed Windows files
    If this method does not resolve the behavior, go to Method 2.

Method 2: Modify the registry
    If Method 1 did not resolve the problem, modify the registry:
    1.   Click Start, click Run, and then type regedit in the Open box.
    2.   Locate the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Restrictions
    3.   If a value called NoBrowserOptions exists, delete it.
    4.   Restart the computer.
    If this method does not resolve the behavior, go to Method 3.

Method 3: Repair Internet Explorer
    If Method 2 does not resolve the behavior, repair Internet Explorer.

Back to the top
    STATUS
    This behavior is by design.

MORE INFORMATION
    You may also experience the following symptoms if the Inetcpl.cpl file is missing:
    •   The Internet icon may be missing from Control Panel.
    •   The Internet icon may be displayed in Control Panel, but nothing may happen when you double-click it.
    •   When you right-click the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and then click Properties, nothing may happen.
    •   The Repair Internet Explorer program may suggest that you run Setup again. If you click Details, you see that the Inetcpl.cpl file is listed as missing.
    and this......http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/2balls.jpg[/IMG]

Life is all about *censored*; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one