Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: got a virus (I think)  (Read 3687 times)

dirtpan

Topic Starter

Starter

got a virus (I think)
    « on: November 03, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »
    The other day while surfing I got a norton pop-up that said my computer was under attack. So I disconnected my connection and ran norton but it was out dated. so I removed it and installed AVG and ran it and it removed some cookies ( 14 total)
    So I thought the problem was fixed. Boy was I wrong I left the computer unattended and it was on wifi and I guess it finished down load whatever it was. So the problem I have now is when you turn the computer on it goes to start page and when you select the username it Say's loading settings and then it Say's saving settings and goes right back to start page.
    I tried running the restore disk that came with the machine and it did not work. So I guess I will have to reformat but the problem is that I have some family photos I need to get off the hard drive but I cannot access. Any one had this problem before? The computer is a HP Pavilion 8000.
    Please Help :'(
    Thanks

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: got a virus (I think)
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:34:11 AM »
    Welcome to ComputerHope.

Can you try getting into the computer via Safe Mode?

kizza1645

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:34 AM »
    The other day while surfing I got a norton pop-up that said my computer was under attack. So I disconnected my connection and ran norton but it was out dated. so I removed it and installed AVG and ran it and it removed some cookies ( 14 total)
    So I thought the problem was fixed. Boy was I wrong I left the computer unattended and it was on wifi and I guess it finished down load whatever it was. So the problem I have now is when you turn the computer on it goes to start page and when you select the username it Say's loading settings and then it Say's saving settings and goes right back to start page.
    I tried running the restore disk that came with the machine and it did not work. So I guess I will have to reformat but the problem is that I have some family photos I need to get off the hard drive but I cannot access. Any one had this problem before? The computer is a HP Pavilion 8000.
    Please Help :'(
    Thanks

Well actually I have, but re-formating is only the easy way out,
    I used to re-format when ever i got a virus i coulnd't get rid of,
    but then i found this forum, and its been smooth sailing,
    just wait and see what help you get here before re-formating

07venky

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:51:21 AM »
    Hi

try these instructions , it will get rid of virus

[link removed - http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,69300.msg455894.html#msg455894]

thanks
    venky
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:01:18 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

dirtpan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »
      I can not get past the welcome page in any mode. When I use my boot disc it tells me I have something missing ( I wrote it down but don have it in front of me I think it is ngen)
      When I click on user it says loading preferences and then immediately says saving settings. It does this in safe mode and in safe it has administrator and when you click it does the same thing I cannot get past this screen with any thing.

kizza1645

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »
      I can not get past the welcome page in any mode. When I use my boot disc it tells me I have something missing ( I wrote it down but don have it in front of me I think it is ngen)
      When I click on user it says loading preferences and then immediately says saving settings. It does this in safe mode and in safe it has administrator and when you click it does the same thing I cannot get past this screen with any thing.

That's actually a tricky little problem, if you can't log in to remove the viruses, then hypothetically there would be no way to remove it via the OS side of things.
      But there is most certainly a way to get rid of it, without having to re-format.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 04:15:25 AM »
      Do you have the Windows CD?

Also, what Windows Version is this? XP, Vista, ect...

dirtpan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
        Yes I do have the Windows CD. My system is running windows XP

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:52:36 AM »

kianaruiz

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:58:59 AM »
          I agree reformatting your computer is one good option to make. Loosing some files is an acceptable thing compared to loosing the whole computer files. Frequently update your anti-virus to prevent acquiring such problems in the future.
          TR Vidcom Computer and Audio Visual Equipments

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:43:21 AM »
          I agree reformatting your computer is one good option to make. Loosing some files is an acceptable thing compared to loosing the whole computer files. Frequently update your anti-virus to prevent acquiring such problems in the future.
          There are always alternatives to re-formatting.
          Formatting is the easy way out.

If you want to save your files, save your computer, and save all the trouble of reinstalling everything, don't reformat.