Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My D: Drive Stopped Working  (Read 2716 times)

melizma06

My D: Drive Stopped Working
« on: October 25, 2008, 07:02:43 PM »
I have an Acer Aspire 3683WXMi (1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)laptop bought 2007 with windows vista basic. I have C: and D: hard disk drives which were working fine until a few days ago.

I had all my pictures on D: drive and I decided I was going to move it to C: drive so I copied all my files, only to find that it took up too much space on C: drive so I moved them all back. I dont know if it was this or something else, but when I next tried to access D: drive (as in, going into My Computer and double clicking the icon) it was taking forever to load, and the address bar kept flicking as it was loading (you know when you double click something and the address bar fills in green as it is loading - well it was filling in very slowly and the colour was flicking).

I tried Ctrl Alt Dlt but nothing happened. I tried to click out of the page and an error message occured saying windows explorer failed and was going to close. It did close after that but my laptop was still acting slow and taking forever to do anything so I had to pull the power. I started it in safe mode and everything was working so I took all the files off D: drive, I defragmented it, checked for errors, did the whole 'system restore' thing and finally reformatted restarting my computer in normal mode each time to see if it worked but nothing did.

I'm still no able to right click it or anything without windows explorer failing and my computer basically freezing. When I went to delete the pictures off my USB (the pictures that created the problem in the first place) a message came up that a file called 'thumb' should not be deleted or it may cause some programs not to work, so I skipped that file when deleting it thinking that maybe i had somehow taken this file off D: drive and that was causing it to not work. However, the file wasn't visible on my usb, and i searched my usb for hidden files but nothing is there and D: drive is still not working.
Help!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My D: Drive Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »
If you interrupted a Copy or Move transfer your data may be gone...
I don't understand the 2nd operation you tried when you say you emptied D: to a USB device...what kind of device and how did you "move" them ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

melizma06

Re: My D: Drive Stopped Working
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 04:06:13 PM »
oh ok so when i went inot safe mode, i cut all the files out of d; drive (because in normal mode d drive wouldnt open and i couldnt get to them at all) and pasted it onto my kingston data traveller usb stick thing.

yea i dont know, i was thinking that maybe when i had originally tried to move the pictures from D; drive to C and then back again i had done something that made d drive stop working. but i have no idea what i could've done, and i dont thnk i interrupted the transfer, i moved all the files and then found out it took up too much space so moved it back.