Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How come itunes can't find files that are in the itunes music folder?  (Read 8316 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

My itunes wasn't able to find original files over the network(on a diff. computer) so I put them on an external drive. I've dragged this folder of songs, called "music" into the itunes music folder. Now Itunes is set to look here for songs, and in this folder are all the artists listed and my folder music. The problem is when I click in the itunes library to play one of these, the original still can't be found. When I go to the itunes music folder, open my music folder, play a song , it plays in itunes. I don't understand what the problem is. I do see that the songs under artists are all mpeg4 and my songs under music are mp3's. Does this make a difference? It seems like I finally have the files in the spot where itunes looks, but it's still not working. I must be close? Right?

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

Re: How come itunes can't find files that are in the itunes music folder?
      « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »
      Did you first place the music from your external hard drive into a folder, then put them into itunes?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »
      I suspect it won't read sub-directories...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:29:38 PM »
        The music on the external drive came of the computer, as a folder "Music", "Music" had sepearte folders, 50's, 60's, 70's etc. I dragged these to the itunes music folder. Then in itunes under file, I added folder to library, went to the itunes music folder and clicked on "Music". I then had the songs listed under artist, like itunes was already doing. It isn't working though, all I have now are 3 copies of every song in the library. Itunes looks to this site for all music correct? Whycan't it find these files. I noticed under preferences and then the general tab, my library name is Fitness does that matter at all.