Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stumped After Motherboard Install  (Read 2792 times)

schultzomerta

Topic Starter

Starter

Stumped After Motherboard Install
    « on: October 30, 2008, 08:33:42 AM »
     ??? I just replaced the motherboard in my e-machines T3828 desktop with a known good 845GV IBM board, IBM 02R4637, with P4 chipset.  Now as soon as I plug in the cord to the PWR Supply the computer starts running, but no display is shown on the monitor.  I figured I would have to adjust BIOS settings and use a recovery XP disk, but I can't even getting anything to appear on screen.  I don't know why the computer automatically starts running as soon as it is plugged in either. Any Info would be greatly appreciated! Thank You In Advance!

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Stumped After Motherboard Install
      « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »
      Regarding the automatic start up; I would start by double checking the connections from the power switch to the
      motherboard. 

Are you using onboard video or video card?

Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

schultzomerta

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:45:04 AM »
        Regarding the automatic start up; I would start by double checking the connections from the power switch to the
        motherboard. 

Are you using onboard video or video card?

I am using onboard. I assume that what you mean since I have no video card and just use the default connection on the mother board. before i had no power from motherboard, no fans....nothing. i put in new power supply and new motherboard. now everything powers up, just no display

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:49:35 AM »
        If the MBoard is not identical to the old one that HDD is not going to boot properly without doing a Repair Install...it's looking at the wrong drivers.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
          Have you double checked the connections from the power switch to the motherboard?  

Do you know if the onboard video was used in this motherboards last setup or a video card?  If a video card had been used the BIOS may be set to send video through the card.  If you refer to the motherboard manufacturer's documenation you can determine how to use a jumper on the motherboard to reset the BIOS to its default.  

Are there any system beeps when the computer powers up?

What is the wattage of the power supply?

How many other devices are in the computer? (CD/DVD drives, hard drives)

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »
            Patio, even with goffy drivers he should still get video before the OS loads shouldn't he?

EDIT:  goffy = goofy. 
            « Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:43:15 AM by Eg0Death »

schultzomerta

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
              Have you double checked the connections from the power switch to the motherboard?  

Do you know if the onboard video was used in this motherboards last setup or a video card?  If a video card had been used the BIOS may be set to send video through the card.  If you refer to the motherboard manufacturer's documenation you can determine how to use a jumper on the motherboard to reset the BIOS to its default.  

Are there any system beeps when the computer powers up?

What is the wattage of the power supply?

How many other devices are in the computer? (CD/DVD drives, hard drives)

I dont know any history about the motherboard. sorry.

no beeps on pwr up. as soon as the pwr cord is plugged in the fans on MB kick on without hitting a switch.

300watt PS

1 HD and 2 CD/DVD drives

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »
                I recommend using the jumper on the motherboard to reset the BIOS. 

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »
                Patio, even with goffy drivers he should still get video before the OS loads shouldn't he?
                Yes. It will load the generic Windows VGA drivers and there should be a display provided everything is hooked up properly...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "