Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Monitoring - Extending Desktop > Laptop  (Read 7175 times)

chaosm8ker87

Topic Starter

Dual Monitoring - Extending Desktop > Laptop
    « on: October 31, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
    Is it possible?

It is a working laptop, and I'd like to extend my desktop display onto my laptop display.

If so, an explanation on the process would be appreciated.

I am using Vista-64 bit.

Also running SLI with dual GeForce 7600's.

Thank you for any help possible.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Dual Monitoring - Extending Desktop > Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:02:02 AM »
    What make and model is your laptop?  It has a VGA port on the side or back, right?  Have you tried connecting a monitor to it?  Please give details of what you've tried and what happened.

When you say, "extend my desktop display onto my laptop display", do you mean you want the two monitors to function as a single, wide display? Or, do you want to display separate applications on each monitor?

chaosm8ker87

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »
      I want to use my PC display as the main and second with my laptop display. I want them to be separated, not stretched across.

I have attempted to use a S-Video cable to connect between the two computers, and I had no luck thus far.

It is a Dell XPS, Model M1530

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »
      I believe I mis-interpreted your original post.  You're talking about two computers, a desktop and a laptop, right? Sorry, when you said desktop, I was thinking you meant what you normally see on your monitor, which is often referred to as the "desktop". 

OK, you're talking about two computers.  So, no, you can't do what you want to do, which is use the laptop as a second monitor for the other computer.

GolemdS

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »
        You know that blue cable at the back of your desktop computer? You need one of those. Plug one end into another monitor in port on the desktop computer, and the other in the monitor OUT on the laptop.

I hope that works... I've only set up a laptop with a projector as a second display recently, it may be MUCH different the other way around...

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »
        You know that blue cable at the back of your desktop computer? You need one of those. Plug one end into another monitor in port on the desktop computer, and the other in the monitor OUT on the laptop.

Can you cite a reference on this?  My advice is, don't do this.  It could damage your computer(s).  Your laptop is a computer, not a monitor to be connected to another computer's VGA cable.

wally059

Starter

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
          While you can't use either screen as an extention to the other one, you can connect an extra monitor to your laptop using a VGA cable attached to the video port in the back of your laptop, it still show the same in both of them though, I don't know if this is what you want to do, I hope this helps.

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:28:38 PM »
          Wally059,

You can use an extra monitor with either a laptop or a desk top and have two different things on each monitor. (If you want to know how to do this I can let you know but start a new post on it or search the forum as I believe others have asked this question before)

However I think the OP is wanting to use their laptop as the secondary monitor for their desktop and I would have to agree with Soybean and say this isn't possible.
          You can't fix Stupid!!!