Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to create 1 partition out of 2 on hard drive?  (Read 3415 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
How to create 1 partition out of 2 on hard drive?
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »
I created 2 partitions on my C drive with Acronis Disk Director a few months ago and now I want to undo that so my C drive is just 1 partion. I cannot get the Acronis software that I paid ~$50 for to re-install on this drive with new operating system (Vista)correctly. Is there a way I can combine these partitions using Disk Management?

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: How to create 1 partition out of 2 on hard drive?
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »
    I don't believe that Disk Management has the capability to do what you want. 

What is happening when you attempt to install the Acronis software?
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:08 AM »
    I don't believe that Disk Management has the capability to do what you want. 

What is happening when you attempt to install the Acronis software?
    It's a dialog box about interuption before removal. I took a screen shot - attached. I cannot find Acronis DD in 'Add Remove Programs' (or I guess it's 'Programs and Features' in Vista, I'm still learning the Vista control panel.
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I'm working 7 nights a week and very greatfull considering all my friends who are getting laid off.
     patio;  I'm going to the Acronis link you gave me now. Thanks!

[Saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

GolemdS

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
      I think Acer PCs have a thing with partitions. Is this the same PC? Because if it is, wouldn't it have to be already installed for you to make those partitions anyways?

My friend had a boot tool that can manage partitions. I think you may have to use that to delete the other and resize the first. Then defragment. I'll try any find the name of that software.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
      wouldn't it have to be already installed for you to make those partitions anyways?

I don't understand your reponse, most likely because of my ignorance, but I installed Acronis after XP was installed on this drive when the drive was new.
      This is the same computer I had this hard drive installed in when I created that partition with Acronis Disk Director. The difference is I now have Vista OS instead of XP. I don't see why it makes any difference which computer, OS or hard drive I am trying to work with. I paid $50 for the software, and have the correct key code registered to my personal information, and there is no limitation specified by Acronis for using this software with a different OS, drive, ect.. Next April, I may have to renew my licence in order to keep using the Acronis, (but I don't even think there was a 1 year time limit on the purchase - although, if so, I'm well within that limit).

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 03:03:32 PM »
      Official Acronis Support Forum
      I posted a thread on the forum you linked me to patio, but have not recieved a reply yet.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
      I think Acer PCs have a thing with partitions. Is this the same PC? Because if it is, wouldn't it have to be already installed for you to make those partitions anyways?

I may now see what your asking better. I think 'no' since the hard drive in question has undergone 1 or 2 or 3 ect. recoveries since the acronis DD software was installed. You know how it is with these things when your a rookie; "OOPS, that didn't work and I have a black screen - time to run the ol' recovery disc." But thanks to you and everyone else on CHF, it's still processing just fine!

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:39:53 PM »
      Okay, the Acronis software did load enough to show a 'technical support' link. I logged onto this page and it gave an option of re-downloading the software I purchased. (Thanks Acronis!!!)
      I now have Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 running fine, and acomplished the merger of partitions by deleting the larger unused partition, then I clicked on 'expand free space' for the partition my operating system is on (drive C in this case). Acronis allocated the deleted partition space to this partition and I now have 1 partition , with 232.88 GB.
      So I got what I wanted mostly, but what happened to the other  17.12 GB of drive space?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 11:32:19 PM »
      So I got what I wanted mostly, but what happened to the other  17.12 GB of drive space?

Hidden Acer Restore partition...? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "