Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drives mixed up? whats this problem??  (Read 3618 times)

Lauren2717

Topic Starter

Hard drives mixed up? whats this problem??
    « on: October 31, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »
    Compaq
     RAM: 512MB-1GB
     CPU: Intel Celeron
     Type: Desktop / Workstation

Question: Hi! My computer has a bunch of space on my C (presario) drive ... 56 out of 70 GB available. My H drive only has 54 MB out of 4 GB available. I believe this is because my primary hard drive is listed somewhere as my H. I think this because any time I try to download or update or save anything it tells me there is not enough disk space. I also get an alert telling me Im running on very low disk space on Local Disk H: and asking me to remove programs to free up disk space but there is nothing I can delete and I cant defrag. Disk cleanup doesnt help either. I have been able to move some files from H to C to free up some space for temporary files and I have to manually direct the file to be saved in the C drive. I know this cant be right. I have been into my registry editor and changed somewhere H to C... in two different spots...from the advice I recieved online but because of a few problems with running programs I switched them back. I want to know how to make my C drive act as it should and likewise with the H. Here are what the drives look like...

http://hosted.drpic.com/UYUC9TJ0YU

above is a link to the screen shot of my disk management window (since the one posted seems it might be difficult to look at) so you can see exactally what I am dealing with...
    any help would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks! 

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Hard drives mixed up? whats this problem??
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »
    How is your boot order set in BIOS?
    On which drive is Windows installed?

Lauren2717

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »
      i believe my windows is installed on my H drive. I am not at that computer right now but i am pretty positive its on H. I dont know how to check the BIOS... im not completely computer savvy so i dont know how to check that. or even really what that is ?? lol.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
      I think, your best option would be to use some free partitioning tool, like EASEUS Partition Manager: http://www.partition-tool.com/ to merge both partitions.

jamnar

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »
      Before any changes are made, you might want to be sure that the 4G partition is not just the normally hidden restore partition. Big name OEMs like to place a hidden partition on the drive that has a complete restoration image and all the original drivers on it. If Windows craps out on you, then this is what you would boot to and restore the system from. Wipe that out and you may wipe out the only copy you have of the original software (Windows, Office, etc.).

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
      Very good point :)