Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Serious problem on my system!  (Read 3655 times)

Joshuashaw

Topic Starter

Beginner

Serious problem on my system!
    « on: November 01, 2008, 05:59:08 AM »
    Dell Dimension DIM 9100 Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz, 2.99GHz, 1.50GB of RAM. The OS I'm running is XP, home edition, version 2002, service pack 2, presume it might need updating when my PC becomes stable enough. In safe-mode I completely searched my computer for any threats using Ad-Aware '08 which is a freeware I understand, but I only came up with a couple of cookies which have been there for a couple of full searches, sometimes said "Will remove files after a restart!" still there, but I presumed it was nothing serious to worry about.

I know some stuff about computers, not so much the technical, computer building kind of info, I know about files types etc, what ever music (big music geek) and design has needed me to know about to do college work in photography and graphic illustration.

My most recent upgrade which is one of 2 hardware upgrade is a simple external hard-drive (Maxtor Basics 500GB) which I bought last weekend which hasn't been a problem and has worked fine when C&P'ing files to and from my internal hard-drive to the external. Most of my music & video is on the external now, apart from the few films I have on download through BitTorrent which is paused now while I try to sort my PC out.

It first started a few weeks ago when I went to my PC to boot it up, it took a few starts to turn on properly kind of like a car would when it was getting old, not happened before but presumed it was something that came with an old PC like mine. It stopped for a while, and has been happing once or twice whilst I have be en having my serious errors recently.

The problem came on when the PC was already on and turned it self off, booted up again and brought me a warning screen, blue background saying something like Windows has turned your PC off to protect your files and info from being lost... if this is the first time it's happened, reboot your pc and choose from the screen run Windows normally. I turn the PC off and on again, resetting it, comes up with the blackscreen it warned me about with a few options; Run safe mode, run safe mode with networking (which enables internet I presume, internet doesn't work in the 'normal' safe mode) and then the 3rd one which is Run safe mode with command propt. Then you have the choices of Run computer with last sucessful configuration or something then the final one which is run windows normally.

I have tried all of them,

Run Windows normally - takes me back to the blue screen.
    Run last sucessful configuration - takes me back to the blue screen.
    & the other 3 do what they say on the tin, run safe mode.

The error codes I get are "SESSION3_INITIALIZION_FAILED" & "***STOP: 0x0000006F (0x0000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I can't tell you how appreciative I'd be if someone could help me out, beyond words.

Joshuashaw

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Serious problem on my system!
      « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:05:55 AM »
      I regularly do disk cleans ups, not done a disk frag for a while because my internal  was full and you need atleast 15% free memory until I got the external HDD, I'm currently doing one one on the internal at the mo. After this has been done, ill unplug all USB applications.

Joshuashaw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:27:04 AM »
        ALL USB applications (memory stick, USB hub, external hard drive) all disconnected, continued to not work. Done disk frag & disk clean up on the internal. Can't do Windows Update due to only being able to run the PC in safe mode. Going to try system restore again, but don't have many put back points due to me stupidly using all the memory for files rather than system restore dates.

Is there not a site I can use to look up the code errors that come up on the warning screen?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:42:35 AM »
        0x0000006F: SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
        (Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
        The process creation failure indicated by this error message can only happen during the fairly brief time that the Windows Executive is being initialized, which is during phase 4 of Windows startup. Typically there is a problem with a device driver or with a missing or corrupt system file used during Windows startup.
        Courtesy MSDN

What MS Suggests
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Joshuashaw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
          I'm running Windows XP thorugh? it says it only applies to;

"• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
          • Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
          • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
          • Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
          • Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
          • Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51"

I have a Dell programme which enables me to write my Windows Operating System to disk, I presume so I can format the computer, could this be used as a last resort?

I don't see how I could of lost or erased the files that are stopping my system from running properly, it's been a while since I have been through Local Disk (C:) > programe files deleting irrelevants files which I don't have the software on my PC any longer.

If it's possible, could you by any chance translate the following so it's easier for me to understand?

"If the Windows Operating System is installed on a FAT partition, copy the initialization file to the %SystemRoot%\System32 directory.If Windows NT 3.51 or 4.0 is installed on an NTFS partition, reinstall Windows NT to a separate directory. Log on as the same user with the same permissions and copy the initialization file to the %SystemRoot%\System32 directory. If Windows 2000 is installed on an NTFS partition use the Recovery Console to replace system files. For instructions on relacing system files using the recovery console see:"

Joshuashaw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:09:38 AM »
            It seems I have to get the Windows Recovery Console, but I don't own the XP disc or I do but I have NO idea where it is in my household & I am phased with this;

"Because the Recovery Console is quite powerful, it is recommended for use only by advanced users or administrators."

I don't think I know nowhere near enough, too much computer coding.

Joshuashaw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
              Looking through all the manuals etc that came with my PC, I found a leaflet which says "Your new computer does not require an operating system CD or drivers CDs. Instead if you ever need to reinstall software, use one of the following methods; System Restore & Dell PC Restore.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:26:18 AM »
              If you use the Dell Restore all the data and programs you have installed will be gone...it basically takes the machine back to Day One status.
              Can you borrow an XP CD for the time being ? ?
              It has to match your version and service packs currently installed...for example if you are running XPPro and have service pack 2 installed the CD needs to be XPPro w/SP2.

It's completely legal for you to borrow a CD to repair your existing installation.
              Unfortunately an OEM (Dell) CD will not do...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "