Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleted Chipset Drivers?  (Read 2866 times)

lewisner

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Experience: Beginner
Deleted Chipset Drivers?
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »
Hi all, I run a Packard Bell 6810 SLI with a RAID HD, 2 GB RAM and 512 Mb SLI Nvidia Graphics.A couple of years ago I purchased Driver Detective but didn't use it, and lost it during a PC crash.A week ago I re-downloaded it and ran it on my laptop, a Fujitsu Siemens C Series Lifebook.Everything seemed to go well, so I moved on to my 6810.
 I worked through the drivers till I came to Bluetooth.Zonealarm warned me that "WIDDCOMM" carried a suspected Trojan but I carried on and downloaded it.On restarting my PC, it just endlessly started and restarted - I would get the grey Packard Bell screen then the Windows XP black screen with the loading bar then shutdown and so on.I tapped F5 and tried every option, none of which worked, although when I clicked "Disable Restart" I got a blue screen with a message about system failure and a series of numbers."Recovery Mode" asked me a question then "Y/N" but I never know how to work this.
 After thinking, I realised that D Drive had nothing on it so I decided to try installing Windows XP on it, and this worked.I found that I was able to extract my 3D train Simulator and "My Pictures" from C Drive and save them to a Mini Hard drive, so they are safe.On looking further it seems I may have deleted some important Drivers since there is a list of devices without Drivers.
 The status quo at the moment is that my PC has C Drive with Windows XP Pro on it, but if I try to start XP Pro it simply restarts again and again.
 If I select XP Home edition it starts normally , but in D Drive.
The PC will not connect to the Internet, so I spoke to my ISP ( Post Office) last night and the guy there said it would be a Master/Slave arrangement and the only answer would probably be to erase C Drive and re install Windows XP Pro on it.
 I am unsure what to do.I know I can uninstall by reformatting C Drive but my knowledge ends there.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
P.S i have read various posts about Driver Detective here and suffice to say I won't be using it again.
"Knowledge is cheap at any price"

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: Deleted Chipset Drivers?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »
A clean install may be the only way out...
The manuf. site is the best place for drivers.
DLoad; install and run Everest Home and have it run a report...save it as a text file and post the Computer Summary portion of it here...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lewisner

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
Thanks patio.The problem, is that at the moment the PC will not connect to the Internet so I apparently cannot download anything.The guy at the Post Office ISP said I would not be able to access the Internet from D drive as the PC would run a "Master/Slave arrangement" whereby the Internet was accessed from C Drive?
 I have taken the precaution of copying Windows in its entirety from C Drive to my Mini Hard Drive.Would I be right in thinking that if I erase C Drive altogether I can then re-install Windows XP Pro from the copy on my MHD? I was quite lucky in that I kept my original PC (a Packard Bell 6052) but it cannot run the Trainz Classics 3 Rail Simulator as it has insufficient RAM and only a 256 Mb Graphics Card.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »
Simply copying Windows will not allow you to re-copy it and have it run...it will not work.
Do you have a Windows CD for re-installing ? ?
For the Everest Home program which will tell you/us everything that is in that machine see if you can have a friend DLoad it for you and burn it to a CD or throw it on a flash drive if you have USB connectors available on that machine.

Just don't be hasty until we know what you've got here so you don't wind up losing everything...
RAM is pretty inexpensive right now as well and that's an upgrade we can help you do yourself that will give a decent performance boost...the best bang for the buck for right now.

Keep us posted.

lewisner

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:51:11 AM »
OK...I was hasty and decided to try reformatting C Drive.It took about 2.5 hours and at the end of it the PC announced that reformatting couldn't be completed so I was back to Square One.
 I then tried using the Packard Bell disks, followed the instructions as best I could and was told there was a "Glue Error" (?)
 I then inserted the "Recovery" Disk I was given since when PC World sold me the PC they couldn't find the Master CD's.It looked promising till I was asked "System Number" which, being an ordinary dude, I had no idea what it meant.
 So like all true Brits. I gave up.
At the moment I have downloaded Everest to my Mini Hard Drive and I am going to attempt checking C Drive with that.
 Re RAM, that isn't the problem.I have 3 PCs - the Packard Bell 6810, a Packard Bell 4052 and a Fujitsu Siemens laptop.
 The Train Simulator is more or less a benchmark of PC power.The 6810 runs it easily, when it works. The train simulator loads onto the 6052, but its incapable of running it to insufficient RAM and graphics , which I updated myself to enable it to run a previous version of the train sim. The Fujitsu Siemens laptop has insufficient RAM or graphics to run the train sim and at the moment I am strapped for cash so buying upgrades is out of the question.
 Thanks for being patient with me.

lewisner

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »
P.S I have a Windows XP Home CD, but not a Windows XP Pro CD as this was installed by a "friend of a friend" a few months ago after the hard drive expired.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
OK so where do you want to go from here and what are your goals for this machine ? ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »
Just remember, if at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lewisner

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »
Sorry I disappeared like that guys - I had a friend round for a few days
Patio, at the moment my goals for the machine are 1) To erase C Drive completely and install Windows XP Home on it, so that I can run my train Simulator on it.2) To reconnect it the Internet. Thats basically it.
 I tried System Recovery and eventually found the System Serial Number on a sticker placed conveniently on the back of the very heavy PC at the bottom.However I was told I had a "Glue Part Error" and I don't know what that is so I had to exit.
 On trying it another way I got the message  "Exit from OEMSetup D:\_ " and didn't know what I was supposed to type after that.
 I have also been told "Device Error Code 7680
                                    DOS Error Code 8
                                    Sector Not Found"
and another time "Device 1002:7146 Not found" in red.
So in a nutshell I cannot erase C disc.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:04:23 AM »
First things first...you need to get on a machine with Internet access and travel to the machine manuf. website and DLoad the motherboard drivers for that machine.
You may also want to grab the sound; network and video drivers also but some are included all in one package.
Unless you have the Driver CD that shipped with the machine...if so you can skip the above step.

Here  is an excellent Guide to a clean install of XP....

lewisner

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »
Thanks Patio. I have a CD ROM with "recovery" written on in red pen because PC World couldn't find the master discs.And the Master Discs themselves which they found later and sent to me. I have tried running all 3 as "boot first CD ROM" to no avail.
I will try to follow your other advice and see if I get anywhere.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »
If it says Recovery in red pen then all bets are off...