Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Raid, JBOD array...having trouble  (Read 2985 times)

Vlen

Raid, JBOD array...having trouble
« on: March 25, 2005, 12:55:14 PM »
Hey all, my friend decided to upgrade his computer, and I got stuck with the job of setting up and putting together what he bought. ::) Everything has gone smooth up to the point of setting up his hard drive.

The mobo, an Albatron PX915P, only has one channel for ata devices, which i had to use for the cdrom drive, and two raid channels. having never set up a system utilizing raid before, but knowing a teeny bit about it, i gave it a whirl.

The raid utility onboard picked up the hard drives (i gave my friend a second drive since i figured raid requires two drives) and i configured them into a "functional" JBOD array. i dont want to use raid 0 because if i understand correctly he will be limited to 2 30 gb hard drives (one drive is 100gb, the other is 30gb), and i obviously cant use raid 1, thus JBOD.

Anywho, the problem is that the CMOS doesnt recognize the hard drives as being there at all. it picks up the cdrom drive, just not the hard drives. the 100gb hard drive is a western digital and is jumped master, the 30gb is a fireball (?) and is jumped slave, and they are both on the same ribbon to a single channel on the raid.

Once i get ahold of the computer again (conflicting schedules, different houses) im going to try changing the jumpers and putting each drive on its own channel. hopefully this is right, any input would be much appreciated.

On a sidenote, when you create a raid array, does it wipe the hard drives clean? ???  

Much thanks from a raid newbie!

Vlen

Re: Raid, JBOD array...having trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:34:25 PM »
Update, tried putting each drive on separate channels with no jumpers, no such luck.

tried just the 100gb drive alone with no jumpers, same thing no luck.

Here is the error I get:
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM disk boot failure, Insert system Disk and Press Enter.

Either this means that theres no mbr, or something. The cmos/bios still isnt picking up the hard drives. i see nobody has responded...anything will help. any ideas at all here..... :'(

gussery

Re: Raid, JBOD array...having trouble
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 05:19:12 AM »
PXE is "Preboot Execution Environment"
You are telling your PC to boot from a network and it is looking for the information in the PXE ROM chip or for a boot disk with PXE information on it.