Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Prevent a program from accessing a specific drive  (Read 2605 times)

hedfones

Topic Starter

Prevent a program from accessing a specific drive
    « on: October 31, 2008, 03:29:05 PM »
    Hey, I have Diskeeper and I was wondering if there was a way I could stop it from accessing a specific drive, in this case my iPod.  I don't like it hammering on it every 30 seconds or so considering I'd like this tiny harddrive to last as long as possible.   :P  I've told it not to defrag that drive repeatedly, even "disabling automatic defragmentation."  So if it program is nosy enough peeking at that drive, is there a way to block it from doing that?   ???

It may also be important to note that Diskeeper is embedded as a service, taking over Windows traditional defrag program.  So it may be more apt to ask if it is possible to prevent a single service from access to a particular drive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Prevent a program from accessing a specific drive
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 11:43:37 PM »
    The scanning options in DisKeeper are pretty plain...under Tools/Settings you can include/exclude any drive/partition/volume.
    Make sure to check the Scheduled Tasks as well.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hedfones

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:13:15 AM »
      Thank you, I happen to have Diskeeper 2008 and I sifted through the various program options but I didn't find an option quite like the one you described.  I did uncheck the "Automatically enable auto defragmentation on newly discovered drives" option though which I hope will prevent it from jumping the gun in the future.

I'm actually trying some other popular defrag programs at the moment so maybe this problem will fade into obscurity.  I am trying out a couple freebies I snagged off of Download.com: Smartfrag 2.01 & AusLogic Disk Defrag, both of which were apparently very highly rated and popular so I figured I couldn't go wrong with those two.  Anybody have anything to add?  Suggestions?  Advice?  Criticism?

(I did quite a bit of work trying to determine if DK2008 was indeed the culprit and I'm now sure he is.  Filmon.exe gave no doubt whatsoever.)
      (Also, I'm not really much of a defrag freak but my laptop drive is unbelievably fragmented right now.  I think it has over 600,000 fragments and DK2008 isn't making much headway so I think it's time to try something new anyways.  That near-solid red disk analyzation almost made me crap my pants.)

And of course, thank you for the reply.  It seems it's hard to get anyone to help out these days.   ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
      Personally i use Auslogics and have for awhile...
      I do the defrags manually for good reason...i learned the HARD way that any image program such as Acronis or Ghost the backup image files DO NOT need or particularly like the defrag process...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "