Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is it possible to combine another harddrive with the C drive?  (Read 2749 times)

styx3

Topic Starter

Rookie
    is it possible to combine another harddrive with the C drive?
    « on: November 03, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »
    I've got two computers right now, and I want to upgrade the harddrive in one of them(it only has 40 gigs). I just ordered an 80 gig hard drive, and I want to plug my 40 gig hard drive into the same computer as an external hard drive.

What I want to know is if it is possible to make it combine it with the 80 gig C drive(so that I can install things in the same drive without having to split up different installs to save space.

sorry if I'm not explaining this well, but thank you in advance for any help :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: is it possible to combine another harddrive with the C drive?
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »
    The best method would be to install the 80 as a slave drive ...Then power up using the bootable CD that shipped with the new 80 and select the "clone" option....
    This will make an exact copy of the old drive onto the new80.
    When it finishes you power down the machine...remove the old drive...and jumper the 80 to Master and hook it up to the end connector of the IDE ribbon cable.
    Re-boot and you now have all your data; programs and the OS working on the 80G drive.
    You can then add the old drive format it and use it for additional storage space...
    Any questions we'll be here.

And it's not explained quite exactly well since you mentioned 2 machines...this would be a different scenario.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

styx3

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: is it possible to combine another harddrive with the C drive?
      « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »
      I think I've got it, thanks :D