Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question regarding Checksum error  (Read 2340 times)

tmonroe

Topic Starter

Starter

Question regarding Checksum error
    « on: November 03, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »
    Hello Forum,
    I was hoping someone hear could help me with an issue that arose this morning with my PC. Last night it started lagging and this morning it would  boot to the point that the  the fans would start but I would not get any display at all and the system would freeze there. I then rebooted again  and my monitor displayed a message that stated "check signal cable" I did this and the connection was secure. I shut it off and rebooted to hopefully get into safe mode and try to boot from the last known good configuration, the fans started and a message appeared stating "Non System Disk - Checksum error". This is the last time I got any display at all, I connected a different monitor to no avail, I thought it might be the CMOS battery and I replaced that, then I attempted to run my Windows Install disk and it would not boot with that. I am lost and would appreciate any help,
    Thank you
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:03:00 AM by tmonroe »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Question regarding Checksum error
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »
    Simple answer is you have a hardware problem.
    Do you hear the hard drive rev up?
    Can you get into the BIOS?
    In the BIOS area there is some way to see if the Hard drive and the CD drive are connected. Maybe the cables came loose.

tmonroe

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:59:12 AM »
      Thanks for the quick response, all I could hear for sure starting up was the fans, I have no display on my monitor so I can not get into BIOS, I checked my power and data cables and they are well connected.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:21:07 AM »
      Have you tried another monitor?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:27:12 AM »
      How old is this machine and what happened prior to this ? ?
      Any new hardware installed recently ? ?

A flaky PSU will show intermittent/different hardware issues...borrow a known good one and swap it in there.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tmonroe

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »
        Thanks everyone,
        I have tried another monitor and that didn't work either, I built this system around May of last year, the only symptoms it displayed before dying was lagging while I was surfing, my wife was last on it and she shut it down, it was when I tried to boot it the following morning that it started. I don't have another power supply or access to one, the fans do appear to be fine when it is powered on  ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
        The video card may have worked loose. Notice the keyboard lights. Do you remember how the used to flash? If they do not flash like they used to, you may have a major failure. Don't mean to be so negative, but PSU most often goes all the way down and will not power the fans. But the keyboard lights indicate that the BIOS is running and going through its routine.My guess is bad Video card. Only a guess. Still, having a spare PSU is not a bad idea. They do have a high failure rate. :'(

tmonroe

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
          Thanks,
          The Video Card Huh? I will setup the offending system and check the lights, as perverse as it sounds, I am kinda satisfied to have a major error to fix as I am an aspiring PC Tech.