Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot past XP splashscreen after changing network settings  (Read 2180 times)

xtonyl70

Topic Starter

Greetings all! 

Sorry to make my first post here a request, but I am in a pickle and need some pro advice.

Here's the problem:  I networked my desktop PC to an existing network, confirmed that I was able to access the internet, then I changed the "Shared Documents" folder to a sharable state, restarted the computer to affect the change in the network settings and now it won't get past the "Windows XP" splashscreen.  The computer POST's, Window's tries to load, the splashscreen displays for about 8 seconds then the computer reboots itself.  Over and over, endlessly. 

None of the safe mode option's will boot, the previous known good configuration doesn't boot, and, obviously, the start Window's normally option doesn't work.  If I would have known that turning on the sharable folder would have caused this much headache, I would have left well enough alone and been satisfied with a working internet connection.  I can think of nothing that will fix this problem, so I turn to you guys.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

System specs:

Asus P5B mobo (using on-board NIC, sound)
    Intel Core2Duo E6700 2.66GHz
    WD 250G HD SATA
    NVidia 7900GT vid card
    Windows XP Professional SP3
    3.0G RAM
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:03:46 PM by xtonyl70 »

xtonyl70

Topic Starter

Re: Computer won't boot past XP splashscreen after changing network settings
      « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
      **Update**

I tried the Windows XP install repair using this guide: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI with no success.  However, I think i stumbled upon the reason for the computer to not boot up.  The problem seems to be that it's not finding the XP install to boot from.  I tried to rebuild the bootcfg, and it gave a message that there was no installation to be found.  Looks like I'll be wiping out the partition and starting over.