Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can anyone help me!  (Read 3382 times)

WoWgeek

Can anyone help me!
« on: March 26, 2005, 02:59:42 PM »
ok so here it is. My computer is F'd, i think it might be the hard drive but idk so heres the problem. when i turn on my computer everything comes on but the screen is black and the hard drive isnt initiating, the led lights on the front dont come on and i cant open my cd drives. can anyone help me!?!?!!
i dunno if i should get a new hard drive or what.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 03:06:34 PM by WoWgeek »

merlin_2

Re: Can anyone help me!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 03:06:07 PM »
What make is the hard/drive..maxtor/seagate have diagnostics programs.. what happens if you hold down the f8 key on boot...///could it be a overheating problem...more info on system specs.....

WoWgeek

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 03:09:07 PM »
well its a seagate. but its as if my hard drive isnt connected. like all my fans come on and the fans on the motherboard but i cant open the cd drives and i cant hear the hard drive working and the led lights on the front dont come on and my reset button doesnt work i have no idea whats wrong. it doesnt even boot the screen is just black
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 03:09:39 PM by WoWgeek »

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 03:15:55 PM »
Are the ramsticks the same??and are seating in the strips??and the graphics card is seated...is the h/drive jumpers set..to csl/master...........is the power lead to it connected is the ide cable on the correct way around............ re -check cdrom drives ide cables red strip to.>>near....red lead lead on powerlead.........
Will this link help you>>http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/step7.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 03:17:00 PM by merlin_2 »

WoWgeek

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 03:17:26 PM »
im pretty sure it is but ill check be back in 5 and ill let u know

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 03:23:01 PM »
In case you need it but i doubt it.........>.http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
Have you played with the bios..........setup........is this a new drive......the setup on one of mine is .......h/d master via ide cable from mobo>> via ide cable from mobo/dvd/cdrom/drive master///cd/rw slave..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 03:27:20 PM by merlin_2 »

WoWgeek

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 04:32:39 PM »
well i left my computer with my dad and went to live with  my mom for a little and when i came back this is how it was. everything is how it should be its not new, my dad says he didnt do anything to it so i dunno if the hard drive got a virus cuz we did have dsl and it went bad or what. im using my dads laptop right now because it doesnt even come on, i cant get into bios or anything, its as if just the motherboard is hooked up to the power supply and there is no hard drive or disk drives
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 04:35:45 PM by WoWgeek »

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 04:36:04 PM »
 If a hard drive had a virus..and you had a virus...program on it....some message would be displayed....what o/s are you running.does it run in safe mode...........or dos  prompt.........scandisk..check the psu.....have you messed around with mobo........
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 04:40:34 PM by merlin_2 »