Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RPC Issue  (Read 3364 times)

shaggsharkbait

Topic Starter

RPC Issue
    « on: November 09, 2008, 10:03:53 AM »
    Yesterday evening, when I went to turn on my computer, Windows loaded, but about 15 seconds after my desktop loaded, a blue screen popped up and my computer restarted. It does this every time I go to turn it on. It loads fine in Safe Mode, which I am using now. A message popped up from Windows saying that my computer has been infected by a known RPC Virus but gives me no real solutions. My Norton EndPoint Protection became disabled and my Virus Definitions seem to have been deleted or corrupted. I have no added/removed/modified any hardware or software on my computer, nor downloaded anything between "working" to "now". I have scanned my computer with several anti-virus programs but no luck. I've tried to research the topic and I always seem to end up with a virus known as "Blaster". I'm currently in the process of scanning with AVG but I have no high hopes that it will fix my problem. I have reset my computer using System Restore back several times but no luck there. I would like to see if anyone could offer me any help before I go to BestBuy or somewhere and pay big just to have someone tell me it's a virus and I need software, which I had.

Thanks,
    Chris

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: RPC Issue
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:26:13 AM »
    We can help identify whether or not this is a virus and help you remove it if you look here:
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

(Note: to get online in Safe Mode, choose Safe Mode With Networking on startup)

shaggsharkbait

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
      I fixed the problem. It wasn't a virus. It turns out that Adobe Reader 8.1.1 installed on my machine as an autoupdate around the same time. After trying to remove Adobe Reader the machine BSoD'd half way through and then went in to a BSoD loop... I eventually had to boot from the Original Vista Installation Disc and use repair to set the syatem back to a week old restore point, then boot in safe mode, then remove everything Adobe in the registry and now both PC's boot fine and I have not had a crash or error message so far.

Thanks for the Help :)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »
      All righty then. Good job.

If you want an alternative to Adobe Reader, try Foxit Reader.