Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Backup Image  (Read 3132 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

Windows Backup Image
    « on: November 07, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
    Hey there,

I recently reformatted my computer, and heard it was possible to create a total backup of a current operating system, with all settings applied, all programs installed, and all data intact.

After the hellish time I had finding drivers (lost my driver CD =P) this is DEFINATLEY something I am interested in.

I have a few questions about it though..

1. Can this backup be burned onto a CD and booted from and installed like Windows when installing/reinstalling?

2. Does anyone know of any recommended (**free is better**) Image software that can make a full backup of my operating system?

3. Can someone write a *quick tutorial (nothing fancy, I can deal with vague =]) on how to do this?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

DonkyCong

Rookie
      Re: Windows Backup Image
      « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:08:33 PM »
      It is possible to create a CD that is an automated install, meaning you just put in the CD and watch it install. This will install all the drivers ready for you when you begin to use Windows XP after a fresh install.

The software I would highly recommend is nLite. http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html This will guide you though how to use nLite and how to configure it for what you want.

Hope this helps.
      because "K" is boring...

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
        • ACB Systems
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
      Not a freebie but Acronis is well thought of by some here.
      Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »
      It is possible to create a CD that is an automated install, meaning you just put in the CD and watch it install. This will install all the drivers ready for you when you begin to use Windows XP after a fresh install.

The software I would highly recommend is nLite. http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html This will guide you though how to use nLite and how to configure it for what you want.

Hope this helps.

nLite although a fine tool for what it does cannot make an image of an existing partition/drive...
      Please pay attention to what the OP wants to accomplish before suggesting alternatives.
      nLite is used to create a customised bootable CD of an OS and what else you want to add...it's not an imaging program.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "