Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Big problem im worried about!!  (Read 2885 times)

jason69uk

Big problem im worried about!!
« on: March 27, 2005, 01:10:59 AM »
Had a bit of trouble with this external hard drive again this morning.
I have got a dodgy USB socket on the pc though the box where u plug the USB into the front of the pc ha sbeen pushed in quite far, this may be the cause.

Anyway, copied a load of episodes to the hard drive. Done a check on DivFix (DivX file error checking program) It got onto the last 3 episodes to check and it said on divfix 'File Not Found. I then thought aah this is an issue with the file so closed divfix and the divfix folder, Clicked 'My Computer' to find the drive was recognised but it never had the logo of the drive it. Clicked the drive and accessed folders with movies in to find the thumbnail view and wasnt displaying the thumbnail view as it usually would, it was just display the windows logo in everysquar box instead of the first frame of the movie.

So i closed that and tried to open the divfix folder when it froze so i pressed ctrl+alt+del and ended task to 'new folder - not responding' I then lost the desktop and loaded back on when it had sorted itself out.

I restarted the computer, double click 'My Computer' and the drive wasn't even recognised!! The logo wasn't there at all this time!! So i unplugged the drive's USB and plugged it into the bottom socket and the drive was recognised.

I then thought it might say something in the event viewer on the time the drive was erroring and i did! this is what it said under system: and it was a warning, 'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.' What does this mean? Then i looked under Application: Source: Userenv it said this: Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. 'The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.'

The drive works now anyway and i managed to perform error checks on those divx files and it finds them ok now.
My worry is that the drive was having error checks on it with divfix and i dunno what could have happened..

Can someone tell me:
A: what the heck caused this to happen?
and
B: Is the drive completely screwed now?

Please reply to this as soon as possible cos im really, really worried now.

cheers guys.

If this is a problem with the hard drive id imagine its because i was disconnecting it incorrectly.

It sees it fine now anyway if the drive was guna fail would it immediatly fail.
Can unplugging it incorrectly cause bad clusters or sectors?
Does clusters permanantly corrupt data and sectors dont?

Basically if i had bad clusters and moved my data elsewhere to another drive or something it would still be corrupted??

therefore with bad sectors if i moved the data elsewhere it wont be corrupted??
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 09:27:09 AM by jason69uk »

jason69uk

Re: Big problem im worried about!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:57:58 AM »
OK i know the problem now is from an I/O error i had memory loss everything froze. I'm baffled now because when i restarted after this freeze happened the drive wasn't recognised by windows, i had to disconnect and reconnect the drive fir windows to recognise there was the external drive connected..why did it not recognise??
data??
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 12:12:23 PM by jason69uk »

jason69uk

Re: Big problem im worried about!!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 08:32:29 AM »
If i did mess up the drive what would the problems be id start noticing??

If i have sectors on a hard drive would moving the data be ok they wldnt be affected then on another hard drive or does sectors affect the data aswell permanantly??

and clusters would be caused from unplugging the drive by the mains?? which is where data cant be repaired, right??