Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 64-bit vs 32-bit; when is the right time to move up??  (Read 2126 times)

mvollmers

Topic Starter

Rookie

64-bit vs 32-bit; when is the right time to move up??
    « on: November 09, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »
    I'm going to be getting a new computer, and the biggest question that I have is about which processor and version of windows to use.  I don't know if it is worth it to move to the 64-bit platform, since I don't know how much software has gone that way and what sorts of problems I will have with all the old stuff.  However, I don't want to spend the money on 32-bit stuff (software, processor, etc), and then have to spend it again in a year or two to move to 64-bit cause everything is obsolete.  Any thoughts about how widespread 64-bit is and how quickly "standard" programs will make the migration?  Thanks!!

Mark 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit; when is the right time to move up??
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
    Any modern CPU you buy will be 64 bit capable, so you don't need to worry about that.
    Most modern hardware also has 64 bit drivers available for it, this can be checked on the manufacturer's website.
    Most 32 bit software works fine on 64 bit operating systems too.
    32 bit operating systems will not become obsolete for a while yet.

In the end the decisions is yours, and there are advantages and disadvantages of going either way.
    However, I think whichever you decide, you won't regret it any time soon and wish you'd chosen the opposite.