Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP Pro freezes on installation - File 'ASMS' i  (Read 4474 times)

KenBradley

Win XP Pro freezes on installation - File 'ASMS' i
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:19:32 AM »
HELP PLEASE!

Have read many threads on this and other sites and tried everything suggested (except swap out CD drive - don't have a working older drive to try). This PC is at least 5-6 yrs old - has original Hitachi CD/DVD Drive (reader, not writer). Have unplugged ALL devices from back of computer. Just has (1)internal CD/DVD drive and (1) internal LS120 floppy drive left installed.

Something happened to computer - Windows XP Pro would no longer run. Tried re-installing Windows XP Pro. using OEM CD with hologram. Attempted to do a repair install, instead of a fresh install - hoping to be able to keep all programs/devices intact.

During installation, computer got stuck on: "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Pro Serv Pack1 CD is needed" Type the path where the file is located and click OK"

"Copy files from: Global Root\Device\CDRom0\I386."

The screen is locked, and I can not type or change anything. Can NOT change the path. Can not hit SHIFT F10 to get to a DOS prompt, etc.
Have tried running in Installation Recovery Mode, and can get a C:\Windows prompt. However, can't copy any files from my CD (D:\) drive. Can't seem to be able to run REGEDIT. Wanted to try the MICROSOFT SUPPORT suggestion (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311755), but don't know how to get to REDEDIT.

I can get to SETUP mode and back to Windows installation mode, but that's it.

Suggestions on what to try next?
Should I try a "Fresh" Windows install? Will I lose any programs or devices? Will I have to re-install all my programs and hardware all over again, if I install in the same directory on C drive? Note, I have a NTFS file system on HD, not FAT32.   Thanks!

tomo222

Re: Win XP Pro freezes on installation - File 'ASM
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:23:35 AM »
my only sugestion get an unatended setup CD install winxp of that

ITTechnician

Re: Win XP Pro freezes on installation - File 'ASM
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 12:52:42 PM »
I have this problem when I tries to install media center. The only thing you can really do is get a new disc becuase the disc is read only, and the file is corrupted so this nothin gyou can do about it but try a different CD.

drams

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Win XP Pro freezes on installation - File 'ASMS' i
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:10:21 AM »
I had the same error message when trying to repair WinXP Pro.  My question is where is this ASMS file. I could not find it on factory install disk or on a slipstreamed disk I created. I found a directory ASMS but no file. Does and file actually exist somewhere?