Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Search Engine results want me to buy something  (Read 3750 times)

Envirus

Search Engine results want me to buy something
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:46:42 PM »
I have recently had a rash of spy ware, adware etc...
I beieve that I have gotten rid of it all or at least I can't find it anymore.  At any rate I have more than one computer and on the one in question I always get search results to stores or other web sites wanting me to buy things.  Somtimes the results are related to the string I inserted and sometimes they don't.  Is there a setting or something that has been changed or is there a mysterious piece of adware that is alluding me? ???

I am running Win XP Pro with ad aware and norton 2005
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 06:49:25 PM by Envirus »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Search Engine results want me to buy something
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »
    Envirus........LOL .......thats called advertising , marketing..........or whatever .......Lets tell this guy his pc is infected ......and we have the solution and for only $39.99 and several key strokes your pc will be running like it did when you bought it . But wait .........before you max out your card ....save some for me .....I have a pallet of gold bricks ....that I will sell at a real deal.

Go to ..... http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx      and D/l Antispyware Beta and run it .........It will help you .  Don't click on any of those ads for that wonderful software ......

BTW , which search engine are you using ?

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 08:26:25 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Envirus

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:40:48 PM »
    I usually use Google. However I also tried Yahoo and MSNand got the same results.

Its not just spy ware that was on the list of things to buy, although there was always a spyware removal at the top of the list.
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 09:42:32 PM by Envirus »

stoney

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:33:02 PM »
    Hi Envirus
    if you continue to have probs after downloading, and running Antispyware Beta go to the link below, and follow ALL procedures and then when you have followed ALL procedures download h/jack this and copy and paste it in the help2go detective and follow instructions if after the detective you are promted to post your log in the spyware forum then do that.
    procedures http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    you will find h/jack in the procedures step*5

Help2go detective http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective

If you do not follow ALL the procedures one of the experts may-not look at your log, if you just want to download h/jackthis then run it and copy and paste your log in the help2go  detective then you can if you download h/jackthis [make sure you run it from a permanent folder] before you remove any-thing see below

Go to MY Computer>open C:/ right click>New>Folder and name it HJT or Hijackthis. Then put the hijackthis.exe file in it (You must unzip it if it's zipped) so you have C:\hijackthis\hijackthis.exe.....then run hijackthis by clicking this .exe file -that way you will have backups if you accidentally remove the wrong item ( running from a temporary folder  backups can easily get lost)
    Then  click on Do a system scan and save a logfile  

Help2go front-page http://www.help2go.com/index.php

Good luck Paul
    « Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 12:48:27 PM by stoney »

Envirus

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 02:49:20 PM »
    The MS Anti Spyware fixed the problem. ;D  Thankyou for all your help.  It was very fast.

Envirus