Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer switches off, smell burning when playing a game.  (Read 2776 times)

Crafty

computer switches off, smell burning when playing a game.
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:22:15 AM »
Hi
I have just bought the game call of duty world at war. When I go to play the game at high setting with my geforce 260gtx I get a good fps of around 80fps. The problem is that after a short time of playing only this game (othergames are fine). My computer switches off and smells of burning. I think my cpu is getting to hot but im not sure how to monitor it ingame. On idle, just on the desktop, it reads 35 C and 32 C.  But when it shuts down after playing the game, I quickly start it back up and it reads over 65 C or maybe more. Do you think this is what is causing the shutdown and buring smell? here is a list of specs:

1) Motherboard asus crosshair
2) ram 2gb
3) cpu amd x2 dual core 6400+ 3.20ghz
4) windows vista 32bit
5) psu coolermaster 650 watt
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:57:09 AM by Crafty »

Crafty

Re: computer switches off, smell burning when playing a game.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:56:28 AM »
Sorry to bump my thread but does anyone have an answer? Also, could someone tell me, where I can get a free program that will monitor my temps while i play the game. One that I can see whilst I am playing. A bit like the program fraps, that shows your fps while you play. Thanks!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:58:30 AM »
    Open the side of the case and check to see if all the fans running / is there a lot of dust in the case that could be insulating the system & making it over-heat / is the hardware suitable for this game?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:29 AM »
    All the fans are running. Another problem I have is trying to alt tab in vista. When I play a game it will not alt tab to the desktop, all it does is bring me back into the game, so its hard to monitor anything? Why won't vista let me alt tab to desktop all of the time?

Crafty

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »
    I have just found that the psu fan is not working. Hence the reason I cannot play this game! Now what I need to know is, will I be able to use this psu just to browse the internet tonight? It does seem to be running ok without its fan, whilst I am browsing. Thanks!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »
    You run the risk of not only burning up your PSU completely but having it take out other expensive components with it not to mention setting your room on fire...
    HINT: When you replace it don't buy a $20 dollar special.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Crafty

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »
    Ok cheers patio, I think I'll just switch off then  ;D