Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The difficulty of ''seeing'' another's problem!  (Read 2903 times)

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
The difficulty of ''seeing'' another's problem!
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:01:58 PM »
I am no guru compared to many here but - I still see these frequent first time posts (usually) giving almost zilch for info - as if some magic crystal ball will show what the poor victim is seeing (or not).

I, like many perhaps, have suffered long and hard, even trying over the phone to talk someone thru a problem - not being there and seeing and able to explore the system is like running the marathon blind!

It'll never change of course but I sure wish folks could realize that more info is better - even if the problem is still difficult. 

Oh and one other rant while in rant mode - oh my - some folks really do not cope too well with English - and while I can excuse some non English speakers there are one or two who I know are English speaking who's spelling and grammar, really sucks!  No names- but regulars here know one in particular!  ;) :P

Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

hiloed

Beginner

Re: The difficulty of ''seeing'' another's problem!
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:54:13 PM »
    Thank you Mr. Chris for asking the question! If I may I will sound off a little with a reply. I'm a lurker and have made few posts as I have found most answers to any questions already answered in search and F and Q seems so many questions have already been asked and answered and asked over and over. I really appreciate this  site more than any other and have learned so much from search etc. I also appreciate all you guys and gals and your patience that help. I get angry with those that demand an immediate response. You guys are all saints in my opinion for donating your time for free. Please don't get despondent and keep up the great work you all do for all of us that appreciate it.

Mahalo and the best of Alohas,

Ed
    P.S.
    A big Mahalo and Aloha to Nathan for his endless hours in keeping CH up and running and congrats on the  new tool he's working on it's awesome.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
    hiloed,

Your kind thoughts are much appreciated.

patio.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:27:07 AM »

There is also another facet i would like to go into. I am, ATM, waiting for my exam details to take my A+ and consider myself a little familiar with a PC due to the course. I also love this site, its brilliant and most of the people are (considering what was said above, which I agee with) very helpful. As a big part of this course is troubleshooting, I look through the CH site looking for the more simple kinds of problems, so i can practice my troubleshooting and also follow the thread to see the out come.

I am not trying to tread on peoples toes or make out i'm a ace no1 troubleshooter i'm just practicing. Its just that occasionally you'll get another site member talking down to you is if your thick and stupid and the only reason for this is because they're more experienced. I know some people say some stupid things on the forum, sometimes my jaw drops in amazment at the things I read, but to personally insult a fellow member because of lack of certain knowledge can just drive people away instead of making them feel at home.

I know its a thin line, a person with little experience giving advice, then a more experienced person coming along and thinking 'What's the point in asking THAT question' and 'Surely you must know that', but to trully help you should show everyone the right direction. We could ALL be better with the right help.

Just a thought :)
    11 cheers for binary !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
    but regulars here know one in particular!  ;) :P

they're famous.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Jacob

Hopeful

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »
      I agree, whenever I post a problem, I always try to explain in the best way I can, and include as much detail as I can.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:34:43 PM »
      Its just that occasionally you'll get another site member talking down to you is if your thick and stupid and the only reason for this is because they're more experienced
      This is a very good point, and I believe, I might have done so, here, and there.
      For that, I must apologize, and explain a little.
      I believe, in most cases, the reason for the above behavior is just a simple frustration, and, personally, I've never done it on purpose.
      Sometimes, there is a day, when while spending few hours on the board, some frustration keeps accumulating, and someone (like myself) may explode, hurting some innocent person's feelings.
      Believe me, nothing personal there.
      I hope, that explains.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
      If I ever do it- It's usually on purpose.

Besides, I usually save it for our "famous" member!
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 12:39:16 AM »
      I am no guru compared to many here but - I still see these frequent first time posts (usually) giving almost zilch for info - as if some magic crystal ball will show what the poor victim is seeing (or not).

I, like many perhaps, have suffered long and hard, even trying over the phone to talk someone thru a problem - not being there and seeing and able to explore the system is like running the marathon blind!

It'll never change of course but I sure wish folks could realize that more info is better - even if the problem is still difficult. 

Oh and one other rant while in rant mode - oh my - some folks really do not cope too well with English - and while I can excuse some non English speakers there are one or two who I know are English speaking who's spelling and grammar, really sucks!  No names- but regulars here know one in particular!  ;) :P

It is vey frustrating sometimes. I try to not give bad advice, as a rule. Some people expect you to work a miracle and magically heal their computer through will alone.
      Like this guy:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,65508.msg421382.html#msg421382
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/