Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: traveling icons  (Read 2384 times)

kristinelise

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

traveling icons
    « on: November 17, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »
    Just curious about a minor annoyance... On my favorites list, certain web sites put a little identifying icon by their name.  Some of these icons have mysteriously moved, and planted themselves next to the name of other websites in my list.  It doesn't affect how the websites open or anything, it just sort or bugs me.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: traveling icons
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:35:01 AM »
    These are known as favicons...
    Are you saying the order they show up in changes ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kristinelise

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »
      Patio,
      I'm saying that the favicon for one site, say my bank, suddenly appears next to another site on my list, say Computer Hope Forums.  Kind of weird if Computer Hope is listed with a Bank of America favicon.  As I said, just a curiosity and an annoyance more than an actual problem (but inquiring minds like mine want to know!).
      kristinelise

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
        • ACB Systems
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »
      In theory - if the favicon is called from a page <head> area - it should fetch from the relevant site and replace any other that was there - in cases anyways with IE where the site has been bookmarked.

My thinking for now at least is - there is something odd occurring with your cache to prevent a full and proper refresh.  If once a site is up with wrong favicon - does an F5 (refresh) change anything?
      Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

kristinelise

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:43:10 PM »
        I didn't try the F5 refresh--I had already fixed it by deleting my entire browsing history and cookies, then re-logging into the site.  But I think something is going on with my cache, because this problem seems to be somehow related the javascript problem I also wrote about in this section of the forum (that problem did not respond to a refresh).  I hope there isn't something terribly wrong just waiting to wreak havoc on my computer!