Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with XP after virus removal  (Read 1885 times)

MissMe

Topic Starter

Starter

Problems with XP after virus removal
    « on: November 19, 2008, 04:40:33 PM »
    Hi all

I have a 2 year old  Acer Aspire T180 running Windows XP  MCE edition, service pack 3.

It took me ages to sort out my pc after a virus infection ( sorry don't know what it was called but it causes no task bar and no desk top icons not even in safe mode)  I'm pretty sure the pc is clean now as I've run extensive scans with various software and it's showing as clean as whistle.

However, it now takes quite a while on boot up to get to the login screen and when I do get the login screen there is only one account name showing and that's mine. When I tried to recreate the two missing user accounts windows tells me the accounts are already there. So how do I get these accounts back?

Also, How would I perform a reinstall of windows when I don't have any system discs? XP media centre came loaded on this pc.

Many thanks

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Problems with XP after virus removal
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:14:48 PM »
    If you reinstall windows all of your data and programs will be lost. Do you have a good backup?
    If you did not recieve a disk with your computer then it probably has a recovery partition on the hard drive. When you first turn your computer on tap F11 as it boots up. Does that take you into the recovery partition?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/