Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help understanding which RAM to pick for upgrade  (Read 2261 times)

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Need help understanding which RAM to pick for upgrade
    « on: October 30, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
    I have an HP Special Edition Notebook L2000 CTO: AMD Turion 64 ML-34 1.8 Ghz processor with 1x1GB of memory.   I am interested in finally upgrading the RAM since prices are pretty reasonable.

I contacted HP's support via chat.  The person with whom I chatted appeared to not know specifics about the computer, although I was able to verify that there are 2 memory modules.

I understand from the computer manual that I need 333MHz, PC2700 DDR-1 RAM.  The woman in the HP Chat said it's DIMM; that doesn't seem as though that can be correct from the research I've done.  Will it matter if it SO-DIMM or DIMM?

Thanks!

[Saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need help understanding which RAM to pick for upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
      Are those actual HP parts on that website or third party?  I found  Crucial memory for $13 a/r with free shipping.  http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-1gb-pc2700-333mhz-200-pin-ddr-sodimm-laptop-memory-ct12864x335/q/loc/101/10393180.html

Choice based on review:
      I am totally satisfied with my upgraded memory. The rebate offer made for an especially attractive value ($30 back on 1 GB). I was referred to Crucial by HP, the manufacturer of my laptop. What I found most impressive about Crucial were the tools they have available online, especially their automated detection for product compatibility. Never having installed memory, the detailed instructions were also very helpful.

I usually prefer Kingston anything when I can get it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »
      The memory for a laptop is not the same as a desktop. You need the exact thing. You can go to some sites that will give you pictures of what it looks like. The term 'PC2700 DDR-1' is not specific enough. 8)

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:36:40 AM »
        scadgirl007,  I glanced at the link you posted and that RAM looks appropriate.

SO-DIMM is Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module, Small Outline referring to the reduced size as compared to DIMMs used in desktop computers.  A DIMM will not fit.  :-) 

I've not been overly impressed with Kingston.  I have not had any significant issues with Kingston, but then again, I have not had any issues with RAM from that are vendor specific.  In my experience Kingston is a lot more expensive than equal products.  I think most of the cost is paying for the brand name.     
        Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:54:48 PM »
          I'm still in the market for new RAM, but I greatly appreciate your reply!!!