Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop recommendations  (Read 3664 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
laptop recommendations
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:31:03 PM »
I'm looking for better performance, and don't have the time/patience/space to build a new desktop. So instead, I've decided to get a laptop- this way building wouldn't have been an option.

My Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDX has served me well for over 12 years, So I've decided that will be my first brand choice.

I unfortunately can't buy online for some reason, since none of the good places take paypal and the ones that do require a ZIP code for shipment, which is hard because I'm in Canada and thus have a differently formatted Postal Code.

In any case- local stores include Future Shop and Best Buy. I prefer Future Shop, but if I'd get significant savings on the same product from Best Buy, I'd go for it.

a quick search gave me this:

Toshiba 15.4" Satellite Intel Dual-Core T3200 2.0GHz Laptop (L300-04N)

Which looks great, especially compared to my current desktop- But I have a few queries:

I'd like to install XP. This one doesn't appear to have any drivers from my searches on the net for XP. Are their none available? (not that I hate Vista- I just have programs that work much better under XP) (and yes, I'm aware of the 3.5GB limit) I just want it to be possible to install XP...

For that matter- I couldn't find Vista Drivers- If I was to decide to keep Vista, I'd want to use my installation DVD that I got ages ago, (Vista Ultimate)...

The Graphics Chipset- I've been out of the laptop game, but from what I know, Integrated Intel Chipsets were pretty sucky- have they gotten any better? the most demanding game I would install is Half-life 2. How well would this chipset fare?

I'm open to suggestions for other laptops, of course. The only requirement is Wireless-N, which seems to be pretty well the standard now.

my budget can be stretched to about 850$
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: laptop recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »
BC didn't they just open up Canada to newegg.com ? ?
That same laptop is $499.00 U.S. which may save you a bit with the exchange rate...

I hate searching Toshiba for drivers but i'll give it a go a bit later...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: laptop recommendations
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »
they did, but they don't appear to accept paypal any longer.

Also- Their stock seems to be significantly less then the US version- a search for "Toshiba" for example, brings up less them a page of hits. The laptops features seem to be around the $2,000 dollar range  :o which is a bit pricey.

EDIT: it seems they reinstated their acceptance of paypal. I must be doing something wrong though- they have GOT to have more stock then what I'm viewing at newegg.ca...

If I'm able to see more inventory or something- I'd probably scrap the laptop idea and build a new computer- the whole reason I didn't want to originally was because I had no source of components. If Newegg works with paypal and I can get some decent stuff on newegg.ca that can be seen on newegg.com... I'm going to go for it.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.