Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: browsers stall  (Read 4118 times)

bink99

Topic Starter

Starter

browsers stall
    « on: November 19, 2008, 11:41:39 PM »
    Hi, I am running windows XP home SP3, with 448M ram, 550MHz cpu.
    browsers IE7 and/or Firefox 3. 

I usually have several windows open, each liable to have lots of tabs, say up to 6.

the system hibernates at night, after running a backup.  so don't often re-boot. 

after bing used for a while, either browser may go into 'stall' mode, where clicking on any link produces no effect, except 'done' in lower left corner.  no error messages -

at this point I just close all windows, and re-start the browser, and all is ok again.

this will happen after considerable use, don't think it has ever happened while I am actually using the browser, it is after I return to the computer after dinner or whatever. 

Firefox is my main browser now, so a solution for it would be ideal!   

just got rid of one minor problem of windows installer trying to intall an existing program while I'm starting   another one. fix? - replace  the shortcut on the quick launch bar of the program I was starting! 
    so getting this one solved would make life about perfect again. 

didn't find anything on google - hard to describe. 

thaks for any help, 

Vern 

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: browsers stall
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:35:53 AM »
    I don't believe much can be done to improve computer performance with such low specs.
    334mb RAM and 550MHz Processor won't be able to do much...

Firefox can take up a helluva lot of memory, especially with multiple tabs open. You can temporarily solve this problem if you perform the following config edit and minimize the browser regularly:
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33321.0.html

I also suggest going through all the steps here (especially the msconfig startup edit and ccleaner):
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,62253.0.html

Just on a side note, how much Hard Drive free space do you have, how much is its full capacity, and how old is the computer?

bink99

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »
      >I don't believe much can be done to improve computer performance with such low specs.
      >334mb RAM and 550MHz Processor won't be able to do much...

hi thanks for the reply - my system is finely tuned, and has 448M of ram, and while the cp IS pretty busy during scans, and other similar functions, the system generally performs very well.
      I have 2 HD's, 120g and 40g, and an external drive for backup and imaging, backup done nightly, imaging weekly.  the HD's are overall 68% free. the C drive of 20G is 60% free.

there are also D,F,I and J on the 2 HD's; E is the 100G windows ptn on the 500G external drive; H is the zip drive which I rarely use anymore. G is the CD druve.

I have ccleaner and several other cleanup programs, all run regularly. I have zone alarm pro, avg 8 free, and I keep a sharp eye on my system using taskinfo 2003. the system is kept constantly defragged by ashampoo magic defrag.

all the steps you mention in your link I have done and do regularly.

I subscribe to Windows Secrets, and am a regular visitor at pcpitstop.

>Firefox can take up a helluva lot of memory, especially with multiple tabs open. You can temporarily >solve this problem if you perform the following config edit and minimize the browser regularly:
      >http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33321.0.html

Firefox runs capably, although 3.04 seems to use more cpu and is a bit slower at times.
      I have extreme speed Rogers connection to the Web, rated at 10mb/s d/l.

>I also suggest going through all the steps here (especially the msconfig startup edit and >ccleaner):
      >http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,62253.0.html

Just on a side note, how much Hard Drive free space do you have, how much is its full capacity, and how old is the computer?

the computer is 8 years old, and due for replacement within a year or so. 

so perhaps you can now see that I am not looking for tuning tips - have an abundance of them, and keep checking out windows settings, firefox settings, etc.  pcpitstop gives the computer a good rating.

what I am asking for help with is this strange disconnect, or stall, both browsers have from time to time.   I explained the problem in detail previously, so won't go through that again. 

since it is both browsers, it seems more likely to be a Windows problem. 
      so what can cause the browser to simply do nothing when clicking on a link ?   no error message, like 404, etc.  the cursor goes busy for a second, then 'done' down on the bottom line below the page.

it is a minor problem, just an annoyance, but as I mentioned, I'm working on getting rid of the little annoyances. 

being the expert you are, I thought maybe you would have an idea.   :-))

Vern

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
      When freeze happens, open Task Manager, and report what's the CPU, and RAM usage.

bink99

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
        as I mentioned, I have taskinfo running all the time, so can see at a glance cpu utilization, and with a couple clicks, ram usage.
        when these situations occur, it is never in a full cpu usage situation. cpu at such times is 20% or less utilized.
        physical ram normally has between 50-1ooM unused.

thanks for your interest. 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »
        Close the browsers occasionally, IE7 and Firefox are both known to use a large amount of memory with multiple tabs/windows open and being left on for a long time.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »
        Yeah, I think, this is about computer pretty low specs.

bink99

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »
          THANKS for your help fellas....

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum