Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferrring files from XP to Vista, but no video on old machine  (Read 3105 times)

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    My computer table got knocked over and screwed up the built-into-the-motherboard video card--now I have no video. So I used this as an excuse to buy a new computer.  ;D  Now I want to get the files off the old computer. Is there a way to do taht without having video capabilty on the old machine?

Could I perhaps install the C; drive from the old computer and make it a slave drive in the new computer. The C drive has the XP on it and and new one has Vista.

Thanks for any help you can offer. there are important work files on the old machine that i really need.

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Transferrring files from XP to Vista, but no video on old machine
      « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »
      There is really no way of doing this with a video card. U probably could put the old HDD into the new pc and try setting it up for dual start up (meaning which OS boots up first).
      There r few option buy an external HDD enclosure install the old HDD in the enclosure and copy the files u want. This option only works for files not programs. The last resort is: try talking to a friend to barrow his pc. Remove his old Hdd install yours. U could trans form files this way. Let us know how it worked?

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:25:35 PM »
      You can recover your data. Its not that hard. Check this out.
      http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:27:14 AM »
      midsail,
      Since he only needs to recover data from the drive he doesn't neccessarily need for it to be able to boot into Windows...
      Hook it up as a slave drive in the new machine and you can copy and burn whatever you need.
      Tutorial Here
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:37:13 PM »
        midsail,
        Since he only needs to recover data from the drive he doesn't neccessarily need for it to be able to boot into Windows...
        Hook it up as a slave drive in the new machine and you can copy and burn whatever you need.
        Tutorial Here

thank you that is exactly what i did.  :D