Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which laptop is the best?  (Read 6785 times)

Noodles949

Topic Starter

Starter

Which laptop is the best?
    « on: November 22, 2008, 06:19:40 PM »
    Hey, you guys! I really want a laptop for Christmas, but I'm not sure which one to get. My friend says I should get a Macbook Pro, but it just looks too fragile to me. Plus I've heard the battery life isn't all that great.
    So, I need one that has a pretty good amount of memory, good battery life, and isn't too expensive. I'm going to be putting my animations for YouTube on it and all my drawings and maybe some of my stories so I'm gonna need room.
    Any suggestions? ???

Austin H

Rookie
    • Worst, avatar, ever!
      Re: Which laptop is the best?
      « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
      I honestly recommend the MacBook Pro, and if not that, the MacBook.

It is possibly the sturdiest notebook ever made, and by no means fragile.
      It uses a uni-body frame (Google it) which makes it studier than earlier models and cheaper.

As for battery life, it can get up to 5-6 hours, far more than the competition, which is pretty sparse, considering it's the most pwerful notebook ever built...
      What the internet really is

"You can always improve perfection"

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:33:17 PM »
      Does it have to be a Mac?

Austin H

Rookie
      • Worst, avatar, ever!
        « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 08:37:25 PM »
        Quote from: Dudeoxide guy

On that note, I'd recommend a Hewlett-Packard or IBM laptop, with XP (I suppose Vista, but wouldn't recommend it), anything else is essentially crap.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »

On that note, I'd recommend a Hewlett-Packard or IBM laptop, with XP (I suppose Vista, but wouldn't recommend it), anything else is essentially crap.
        May I ask why you say this?

Austin H

Rookie
        • Worst, avatar, ever!
          « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »

May I ask why you say this?
          Quality of the product.

That and credibility, IBM is about fifty years old and have been supplying quality PCs since 1981 with the original IBM-PC (I don't know that much about the history of Hewlett-Packard, but I know they did employ a young Steve Wozniak in 1973-75 (yes the products are good) and in the end, that's credible enough for me.

Companies like Acer and Dell make very cheap products and a lot of them (right now Dell has 26 laptops available) which fall apart or break not long after they're purchased, I know this from experience with Dell, I went through 3 Dells before purchasing a Hewlett-Packard laptop and later a MacBook.

In the computer industry, you can never trust anyone under thirty.  (This is why Microsoft just doesn't sit well with me)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »
          HP laptops are notorious for their overheating, and dell for their bad quality, but what about the other companies?
          My cousin has an Acer laptop and it's gone through *censored* and it's still working.

Then there are other laptop companies.....such as:
          Lenovo
          Ausus
          Fijitsu
          Compaq
          Gateway
          Toshiba

Those are just some of the main brands.

I myself have a Lenovo (formally IBM) and I have no problems with it at all.

Don't judge Windows laptops just because you don't like Dell.

In the computer industry, you can never trust anyone under thirty. 
          Heh, Apple is currently 32 years old. :D

Austin H

Rookie
          • Worst, avatar, ever!
            « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »
            Yes, it is (technically 31 from the IPO, but it was active as early as 1975 with the the two Steves building the Apple I, but officially it's 32 years old) and until about two years ago I hated Apple, mainly from ignorance and the hate of conforming to the "iPod Nation", but changed my mind when I got one.  It was one of the best things I've ever had.  In only minutes I want from a kid who hated Apple simply for it's popularity with the iPod, to an Apple fan-boy.  Soon after, I became a hardcore Macintosh fan-boy, with a passion.  I hated Microsoft for about a year, until some personal events took place and I've grown to acccept them as an decent company, though still second to Apple, but it'll still be a few years before they're legitimate in my book.

Along with the "under 30 = worthless" idea, two years ago, Apple only had about 8-9% market share in the computer industry, in the time since then, they sky-rocketed to a current Market share of 19-20% (with a whole 3.5% in the past 3 or 4 months).

IBM was thirty years old (about, I'm not going to look it up) when they released the IBM-PC, it sold for $10,000 and outsold Apple's Apple ][ (the only competition) which sold for about $1,500 by almost 80%.  All of this supports the equation: Company > 30 = Success.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
            Anyone bashing laptop brands needs to realise companies do not always make their own laptops.
            The same OEM parts may be shipped to MSI, Dell, Falcon NW, Alienware and HP, who will then all rebrand it, customize it a little, mark up the price and sell it on.
            Also, I've had no trouble with Dell laptops, I've found they're generally quite sturdy and well-made.  The MSI-based laptop I have has been pretty bad for me, and don't get me started on the broken IBM under my bed.
            It all depends on the OEM and the reseller's service quality.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »
            I've found the Business line of Dell laptops to be near bulletproof...i show them to Dell bashers all the time.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 10:14:18 AM »
            The business laptops are great, I agree.
            I especially like the Vostro lineup.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »
            So, I need one that has a pretty good amount of memory, good battery life, and isn't too expensive.
            Even laptops/notebooks at the low end of the price spectrum are now sporting 2GB of RAM, which should be plenty for most users.  One brand that hasn't been mentioned here is Acer.  I just browsed newegg.com and saw this, which looks like a great deal: Acer Aspire AS4530-5627 NoteBook AMD Mobile Athlon 64 X2 QL-60(1.90GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9100M G - Retail.  It's currently available for $449 and, out of 50 user reviews posted, has a 92% 5-star rating.  You don't see that very often. 

jill8beans2

Rookie

• Life has lit me up.
              • Yes
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »
            I have an older Toshiba and it has been a workhorse!!  I love it, and Toshiba's are very affordable.
            Have micro, will wave...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 01:02:04 PM »
            Same with me- and by older I mean a 440CDX, manufactured 1996. Still works, having trouble with it's CD-ROM drive though, which I imagine is to be expected. It was upgraded to 98SE at some point.

I also have a IBM thinkpad- AC adapter failed. have to use dock 1 to run it.
            Still runs DOS 2000 flawlessly, and wfwg 3.11

last formatted 1996... both of them...

In any case- I'm looking to purchase one next week- can't buy online though So I'll have to go to future shop.

Saw one for 299$ in a flyer- with wireless-N, but I'm going for another Toshiba Satellite- Just want Wireless-N to go with my router... Can't remember the price, but I'll have about a grand to drop on one.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

chriscool9

Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 01:02:39 PM »
              Companies like Acer and Dell make very cheap products and a lot of them (right now Dell has 26 laptops available) which fall apart or break not long after they're purchased, I know this from experience with Dell, I went through 3 Dell's before purchasing a Hewlett-Packard laptop and later a MacBook.

Where is your evidence to support that Acer laptop's break all the time?!
              I have had mine for 3 years, and treat it like crap, not once have I had a problem with it.
              You talk about Dell's being bad because of your past with them, but not Acer's...
              Funny that....

Chris
              xx

99 Problems and London's one of them