Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: more upgrades  (Read 2769 times)

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
more upgrades
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
time for some more upgrades!!
moniter
gpu
psu
hdd
cpu cooler (hsf)

and my budget is $600 a little more if it must be and i am buying the things on black friday if there are any good deals
for my moniter i was thinking a 22" or 24" but 24" are bigger, and look a lot better
for my gpu i have a xfire board so i most likly wanna go with ati but i dont know if it would be better to get like a gtx 260 core 216 or something like that also this decision depends on the moniter (just thinking ati right now for this calculation) 24" moniter i would have to get 4850 22" moniter i could get a 4870 but idk
for my psu i was thinking a crosair 750 watt for possible later upgrades (like going xfire)
for my hard drive i was thinking something 500gb mabye depends on the deals on black friday
for my hsf i have no idea mabe a tt? or a zalman? i think i need to look at some benchmarks

what do you guys think?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: more upgrades
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:15:18 AM »
I'd get a HD4850, great bang for your buck.  Anything better than that will cost a lot more, and IMO the performance isn't justified.  If you've got the cash though, you might think differently.
PSU - Corsair's PSUs are good quality, also OCZ, Thermaltake Toughpower, Antec, and PC Power & Cooling spring to mind.  See what deals you can get, a 700W should do you fine unless you plan on going way over the top, with, I don't know, 20 HDDs, a massively overclocked quad core, 16GB of RAM, and two 4870X2s in Crossfire.  People often hugely overestimate their PSU requirements.
Hard drive - there's a lot of good 500GB drives out there, see what you can find.
Heatsink - what's wrong with your current one?  What do you want to gain from a new unit?

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »
for the heatsink i just want better temps so i can overclock higher cuase right now my quad is at stock and i would like to get it at leat to 3.2ghz
what do you think about the moniter? 22" or 24"?

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »
i found out the bf deals and this monitor will be what i am buying http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112011

for the hard drive the most likley to be cheapest would be this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151&Tpk=22-136-151

for the psu i have the choice of a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012&Tpk=17-341-012 or a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=17-139-005
and a raidmax i didnt even bother linking so would the corsair be enough to power like 2 4870s at most?

the gpu deals are disapointing
best deal is a 4850 ill see if i can possibly get a 4870 though if the deals are that good i can get 2 4850s right? lemme check some benchmarks

nothing on the heat sinks

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
Sceptre monitors are usually good quality.
I also like that HDD.
If you're going for two 4870s I'd recommend a more pwoerful PSU, something in the region of 800W+ - those cards take a lot of juice.
4850s are good cards though, especially in Crossfire.
What are your temps like with the Freezer?  Usually that heatsink is good for Q6600s up to around 3.2, 3.4.  Your mileage may vary.

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 01:30:17 PM »
right now newegg has preblack friday deal ocz 700 watt i think or pcp and c 750 i would want 1gb card cause the moniter right                      my temps are in the low 30s but the pushpin broke so hard 2 put on

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »
PC Power & Cooling make the best PSUs out there.  If you have the money, grab one.
1GB of video memory may well help if you're playing games at 1920x1200 on that monitor.
It's easy to break the pushpins, I broke one of mine and had to RMA it, mine wouldn't clamp down properly.

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
they have tons of thermaltake psus too r they good? would a 750 pc power and cooling power 2 4870s?

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »
This looks good to me.
The PC P&C unit is definitely good quality, but you might need more power for two 4870s.
That OCZ won't cut it.

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »
i kinda figured that i wont go xfire cause the psus seem like to much but if i can get a good one at a lower price and i can xfire with it ill go with it but someone told me that 850 wouldnt be enough cause of all my pc bling and overclocking my quad

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »
850W will be fine as long as it is a quality supply, like that Toughpower.

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
ok ill see what i can aford ya know for a ubr future proof system