Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fdisk  (Read 1911 times)

rooster

Topic Starter

fdisk
    « on: November 24, 2008, 02:09:44 AM »
    hi all
    just joined the site today 24/11/08,HELP please,two years ago i asked a computer shop to fit new mother board,and put on windows xp,this done,thought all will be well,about 3 months after this,my windows started to play up,got in touch with windows and asked the reason why,i was told the copy of xp was legal one,so i said i have a copy of windows read out the number and was told it was a true copy,(but it wasnt the one on the computer) i asked what i should do as the computer shop that fitted it was now closed down,i was told to take it somewhere else and get it done,so i took it to another shop,and asked them,give them the true copy of windows two days later got it back jod done great,but when i switched on the computer i had profile 1 and 2,when i hit one it kept asking me to verify  the copy of windows,so learned to open the computer with profile2,thats worked for around two years now,but ihave noticed that my pc as started to do the same thing as two years ago,i was told that the shop had just put my true copy of xp just over the top of the iilegal one,and thats why i was having trouble again??so i have heard you can fdisk your own compter,would love to know how,but im a very basic computer mind,and dont know really any compter langage,could anyone please help me??????rooster

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: fdisk
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:30:32 AM »
    You need a windows CD
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

rooster

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:42:02 AM »
      hi I have a copy of windows xp true copy???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:29:13 AM »
      do not use fdisk. fdisk is a tool for partitioning drives- XP includes it's own disk partitioning tools.

Either way, repartitioning removes all data from the partition...
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.