Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Professional Boot Problem(s)  (Read 2793 times)

HollowNobody

Windows XP Professional Boot Problem(s)
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:51:50 PM »
My computer simply refuses to boot up.

I start up my computer and the Gateway screen comes up. Sometimes it stops here, but most of the time it continues on.
When it gets to where Windows should be starting up I recieve either a error message stating that there is a disk read error and that I need to restart or that some system32 file is corrupt.

When I booted and hit "F8" I was taken to a menu that gave me the option of booting from a particular operating system, there were none listed so I went into advanced options.

Once the "Safe Mode" option worked and I was able to boot into Windows, but when I restarted after that I was never able to get it to do it again. Basically nothing on the advanced options menu seemed to help.

I began frantically searching for some sort of Windows XP disk. All I could find was a disk titled "Gateway: Microsoft Windows XP Professional System Recovery CD/DVD."
I inserted the disk and set the CD drive to be the first to boot. So now, when the computer decides it wants to read the disk, after the Gateway screen I get a message saying something along the lines of hit "r" to enter the recovery menu. I hit "r" and I'm led to a menu with two options.
The first option is to start a normal system recovery. When you choose this you either get a "disk read error" or a "I/0 error."
The second option is a "full system recovery" and it warns that all data on the hard drive will be erased if you choose it. I am a little reluctant to pick that option, because once upon a time I did that on a Windows 98 and I "killed" it.

Sometimes, every once in a great while, the computer will start normally. When it does start normally virus scans show no viruses and everything seems to run fine. That is until you shut it down and attempt to reboot.

Also I must note that I can get into BIOS, but most of the time when I try to bring up that menu the computer locks up on the Gateway Screen.

As for system specs, all I can give you is what I remember:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP3
Model: Gateway E4300
Processor: Intel Pentium 4
RAM: 1024 MB
CPU: 2 CPUS 3.00GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Direct X: 9.0c

Hard Drive Order:
1. C:\ (WDC WD800BD-22JM)
2. F:\ (Maxtor OneTouch)

Boot Device Priority:
1. CD/DVD ROM Drive
2. Hard Disk Drive
3. Floppy Drive
4. Ethernet

If you need any more information that is available through BIOS just ask.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows XP Professional Boot Problem(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »
You don't have a CD or floppy disk in the computer when you boot right.I assume no but,who knows.

Did you try 'last known good configuration' when you were in safemode?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:33:36 PM »
Could be that your hard drive is corrupted. Run diaganostics disk.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If it passes then try a repair install described here
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

HollowNobody

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »
You don't have a CD or floppy disk in the computer when you boot right.I assume no but,who knows.

Did you try 'last known good configuration' when you were in safemode?

Until I put the recovery disk in I didn't have anything in the floppy or CD drives. As for the "last known good configuration" it didn't work from the advanced options menu during boot and I haven't been able to get it to log into Safe Mode since it did that one time.

Could be that your hard drive is corrupted. Run diaganostics disk.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If it passes then try a repair install described here
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

For the first part...
I'm assuming I need to download the program, write it to a disk, and run that disk on my desktop.
I can't burn any disks from this computer (aka my crappy laptop). The problem computer is my main computer and it is the only one with disk writing capabilities.
I could download it to a Flash Drive, but I'm not sure how I would get that to work without Windows.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:36:12 AM »
Have someone else DLoad and burn it to CD for you...it needs to be bootable to run.
Also check to see the IDE cables are snug.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "