Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Issues  (Read 8167 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Compaq Issues
    « on: November 26, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »
    I have a compaq the model # is 5BW120 2HODTY9616F an I'm tring to install 98 on it but it says that it cant find a drive when I have a western connected.  I connected a maxtor an it gives me 1782 disk controller failure this error an the drive works in other machines an such.  I got this machine free an the info on the side is gone. 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Compaq Issues
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »
    SATA?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »
      IDE its fairly old made for 95/98
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:07:52 PM »
      Ahh- Does the drive show up in the BIOS? How large is the drive?

during that time I believe there was an 8GB BIOS limitation- anything over that might not be recognized or would freeze the system during the post.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
        if something like 2k ???/xp was on the disk before THEN you need to reformat
        it...it's formatted as NTFS which 98 will not recognize...so get a W98 boot floppy
        and format the disk as fat32 first...then place your CD in and try again...should recognize the disk...!!!

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
          it...it's formatted as NTFS which 98 will not recognize...so get a W98 boot floppy
          and format the disk as fat32 first...then place your CD in and try again...should recognize the disk...!!!

Yes however even though the boot order is set to do the hd last or first it still wont.  I already now that its 2k formatted, I format my drives every time I want to put a new os on any ways. 

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:29:21 AM »

Yes however even though the boot order is set to do the hd last or first it still wont.  I already now that its 2k formatted, I format my drives every time I want to put a new os on any ways. 

format the disk in FAT32.....then try it.....don't format in NTFS(2k/xp)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »
                and you set it active after formatting as fat32 correct???

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
                Active or not if formatted properly it will show up...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:51:26 PM »
                  Active or not if formatted properly it will show up...

not true...a disk that is NOT SET ACTIVE will sometimes NOT SHOW...try it...

been there done that!!!

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:16 AM »
                  I disagree.

All the active switch does is make it bootable.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
                    So I should try that then?  I shouldnt have to preformat it, when the windows installer comes up it should be asking or even changes the format while its installing.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »
                    Not neccessary...the Windows setup/install will automatically create the active partition.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
                      Thats what I ment couldnt really explain it, multitasking an such.  But do you think activeating it or what will work then?