Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSIE download  (Read 3062 times)

kelojo

MSIE download
« on: April 05, 2005, 03:56:57 PM »
My OS: Windows95/AOL4.0/MSIE5.0 - 16MB 120MHZ
14,400 bps/1GB.  I have 325 mb remaining.
My problem is:  I tried to access a website, and was directed to upgrade my browser.  I clicked on the upgrade link and it apparently d/loaded a file, becuz it took approx. 2hrs and ate up 5 mb harddrive. After the d/load I visited the website again, and got the same msg. to "ugrade my browser".  Now, where is the file which was apparently d/loaded previously?  Unfortunately I did not make a note of the file name or where it was d/loaded to.  I "searched" for recently d/loaded file name Internet Explorer - but there were none showing as recent in 2005. So where did this "recent d/load" go to?
I need to regain my harddrive space.  Can I Uninstall
IE (apparently installed with AOL 4.0) by itself, and then reinstall it all over again?  How would I get rid of all the old IE files on my pc?  Many thanks for any help.

Computer_Commando

Re: MSIE download
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 09:09:23 AM »
Unfortunately, Win95 does not support later versions of IE.  Even Mozilla Firefox requires Win98 or higher.

Your computer is 10 years old, so it's time to upgrade to a newer computer, if you use it to access the Internet.

kelojo

Re: MSIE download
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 12:05:06 PM »
Unfortunately, Win95 does not support later versions of IE.  Even Mozilla Firefox requires Win98 or higher.

Your computer is 10 years old, so it's time to upgrade to a newer computer, if you use it to access the Internet.[/quote]

My pc is working very well even tho its a bit outdated - it still has some remaining life and quite a bit of harddrive. I want to continue using it till it gives up.  What I need to know is - can I uninstall MSIE from Add/Remove Programs and then re-install a fresh copy of IE 5.0?  If I can safely go ahead and uninstall it (is this possible?) where would I get a fresh d/load from?
Any suggestions as how to Uninstall and then re-install would be appreciated.  Thanks for any and all help.