Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual boot...  (Read 2399 times)

iamtonsoffun247

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Dual boot...
    « on: November 25, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »
    Ok, so dumb question, but I wanted other's opinions.  I just got Windows Vista, and am about to dual boot it with XP.  XP is already installed on one hard drive, and I would like to install Vista on a second one.  The second hard drive is already formatted 100% NTFS.  Should I start installing Vista while in XP, or should I insert the disk, then restart and jump dircetly to the disk in BIOS?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dual boot...
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »
    Here's the short answer...
    If you want the boot option from Windows to choose which OS to boot to you install it with the XP HDD still connected...Vista will detect it and ask where you want to install it to.
    You can choose the other drive or any existing NTFS partition.

Advantages: When you boot you will have a choice in the Windows boot screen which one you want.
    Disadvantages: Vista will need to write certain files to the root of your XP install changing it so that it works. However if you use a disk image program for backups such as Ghost or Acronis the image files need to be wrestled with should the XP install need to be restored.

Method #2:
    Temporarily unplug the XP drive and do a clean install of Vista to the other drive.
    Advantage:
    Imaging and backing up will keep both OS's virgin and independent of each other making the whole job easier.
    Disadvantages: You need to enter Setup upon boot to choose what OS you want to boot to. ( takes an extra 10 seconds)

I prefer Setup#2 and have been dual-(multi) booting for awhile ...
    Any further questions we'll be here.

Important NOTE: Whichever method you choose both OS's will have no problems seeing/transferring files between the 2.
    Some Applications because they are stubborn will have to be installed under each OS however i have good luck with most of the apps i use daily running on both OS's even though they may be only installed under one OS.
    Disclaimer: If this is Vista 64bit all bets are off as i don't have another 20 minutes of typing time left right now....

NOTE #2 I forgot to mention the advantage of having them installed on different drives...HDD's fail.
    If one dies the other is still functional.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "