Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to work with both USB and ethernet interface simultaniously.  (Read 2817 times)

ranjana

Topic Starter

Starter

How to work with both USB and ethernet interface simultaniously.
    « on: November 27, 2008, 02:27:45 AM »
    I am working in windows XP. I have connected USB and ethernet simultaniously.. But only ethernet root traffic is working ... Do u have any idea how to work with both simultaniously... 

I have given different IP address for both the interfaces but network traffic analyzer is showing the samk IP address for both USB and ethernet interface.

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How to work with both USB and ethernet interface simultaniously.
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »
    you can only hook to an internet service with one IP unless you are using a router.

you will have to pic one way or the other to go on the internet, both services can not use the same IP at once...you would need to pay for 2 internet connections to do that and what would you gain by it? windows could not utilize it anyway.
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:32:09 AM »
    I am working in windows XP. I have connected USB and ethernet simultaniously..
    Why do this?  I don't believe you have anything to gain from it.  If it did work, it isn't going to give a faster Internet experience, if that's what you're thinking.

ranjana

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »
      I have to do this for testing purpose.
      I think I could not explain the problem properly..

I have to test both USB and ethernet interface simultaniously... But on connecting both USB and ethernet cable simultaniously, traffic takes only ethernet path (USB interface is totaly ignored)....If  I remove the ethernet cable, then only traffic is moving through USB interface. I am testing using ICMP traffic..

I have given different LAN IP address for both the interfaces .

lostcoast

Hopeful
      « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 06:09:45 AM »
      windows can use only one connection, one or the other.

You may want to experiment with bridging the networks, I have no idea if it will do anything to help but its all I can think of.

I can't imagine a problem you may be having that you would think this is a solution.
      please try and explain, someone may have a better solution for your problem.
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:51:26 AM »
        I have to do this for testing purpose.
        I think I could not explain the problem properly..

I have to test both USB and ethernet interface simultaniously... But on connecting both USB and ethernet cable simultaniously, traffic takes only ethernet path (USB interface is totaly ignored)....If  I remove the ethernet cable, then only traffic is moving through USB interface. I am testing using ICMP traffic..

I have given different LAN IP address for both the interfaces .

try this:

setup a second system, setup network on it and use something like "test" for the workgroup name..

setup you main system the same way, now connect the USB interface to second system, setup a script
        to move data to the second system...it should move over the USB interface...goto to something like
        dslreports speed test in your browser and run the speed test...data should be moving over your
        ethernet connection....now run both the script and the speed test...

reverse the connections to second system to test the other way BUT use a straight through cable
        for the NIC connection....

good luck

ranjana

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »

I got a solution. I have created a bridge connection between both ethernet and USB interface. Now ICMP traffic is moving towards devices connected to both the interfaces.

Thank you all for your replies. :)

Any body have any idea to solve this through routing.

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 05:35:05 AM »
            I use a Netgear Firewall Router.

It has 4 ethernet ports, plus a Wireless feature.

My computer has an ethernet port that works with the router.
            It also has a Wireless Adapter that is plugged into one of 4 USB Ports.

Both Wireless and Ethernet work separately.
            They also seem to work simultaneously.

Only after connecting from via the ethernet was I able to start using the router,
            and only via the router was I able to set up on the router the desired wireless encryption etc.
            Only with the Wireless active and the ethernet working was I able to get the PC to see the signal, and to allow me to supply the encryption key and complete the wireless connection.

If the router wireless is disabled, plugging the USB Wireless adapter into the PC does not enable it, I have to command the router via the ethernet.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think of this as showing the P.C. can use the USB port and the Ethernet port simultaneously, and simultaneously is the only sensible way to manage a seamless transition between the two methods.

Regards
            Alan

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            « Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
            Both Wireless and Ethernet work separately.
            They also seem to work simultaneously.
            How do you know they are working simultaneously? 

If the router wireless is disabled, plugging the USB Wireless adapter into the PC does not enable it, I have to command the router via the ethernet.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think of this as showing the P.C. can use the USB port and the Ethernet port simultaneously, and simultaneously is the only sensible way to manage a seamless transition between the two methods.
            The "two methods" meaning wired and wireless, right?  Then, no, it's not "the only sensible way to manage a seamless transition between the two?"  This is normally done in a sequential manner, not simultaneously. In other words, access the router admin panel via wired connection and enable wireless, including encryption settings; this can be done from another computer, perhaps a desktop that's normally connected via cable to the router, or it can be done from the portable computer via wired/ethernet connection.  Then, if the portable computer was used to setup wireless in the router, disconnect the ethernet cable from the portable and create the corresponding settings for a wireless connection in Windows on the portable computer.   

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »
              1. I Know (or think I know) they work simultaneously because my Netgear Router statistics shows the "Uptimes" of both "LAN 10M/100M" and "WAN 11M/54M", and both durations update every 5 seconds when both cable and USB adapter are plugged in.

2. I defer to your experience, perhaps it was not sensible, but it worked for me.

Another computer is not an option - I have only one.

I had no end of problems, and MANY restorations of an archive image that was "ethernet enabled only", before I succeeded in getting the Netgear USB/Wireless adapter installed successfully.  I rejected as unsuccessful every attempt that dumped another 60 MBytes of Netgear Wireless WIZARD  etc.  I eventually got it down to about 1 or 2 MBytes - I don't quite remember, and I really don't want to relive the experience !!!

After all that I then had to get the two ends of the wireless communicating.
              I got nowhere by starting at the P.C. USB end.
              By working through to the router I was able to stipulate an encryption key so I was safe from ISP freeloaders before I enabled the Wireless,
              and then the P.C. saw the wireless signal and using the ethernet I could change by SSID and confirm that the USB adapter saw the change of name.
              Whilst in this condition the Windows Wireless thingy gave me options that were not available before this signal was present.

With both Wireless and Ethernet active, I was able to go via ethernet to the router to select and copy the encryption key, and then paste that into the P.C. Wireless whatsit, after which the wireless was successfully connected.

So far I have not needed the wireless.
              I only installed it to overcome possible problems before it was out of warrantee,
              and because it would be ungracious not to - it came with the router which was a "Father's Day" Gift.

The only downside was that on one occasion I had to do a power down/up reset on the router before I could log onto its controls - I think I might have logged on via Wireless and after a system crash I tried via Ethernet (or it could have been the other way round) - anyway - the router seemed to think I had not logged out from my previous connection, and was not going to let me log-in in again from anywhere.

Perhaps this Hiccup could also occur with only one type of connection,
              and I won't know unless I test by logging in and then crashing Windows,
              but my lifestyle is to recover from crashes - not to induce them.

Anyway, I now do the "sensible" thing and only have the ethernet in use.

After plugging in the wireless adapter I can tell the router (via ethernet) to enable wireless, and then the wireless is connected, and then I can log out of the router (I ASSUME this is sent from the P.C. by Wireless as well as ethernet) and then disconnect the ethernet cable.  There are apparently seamless transitions from "Ether Only" to "Ether + Wireless" to "Wireless Only".

What problems could occur with both Wireless and Ethernet connected ?
              I do not ask to argue, but because my reason for joining this forum is to learn.

Would you advise that I should never have both connected ?
              Should I always unplug the USB adapter before plugging in the ethernet cable ?

Regards
              Alan