Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems with windows reinstall?? (SOLVED :):):) )  (Read 2055 times)

flossy mossy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

problems with windows reinstall?? (SOLVED :):):) )
    « on: November 27, 2008, 03:30:31 AM »
    ok so I was given a computer, fantastic thing, but it had lots of issues from being completely riddled with viruses, like one of the biggest was that it would not recognise any keyboard inserted into it... big issue!
    OK so anyway, I decided that the best thing to do was to completely reinstall windows. I backed everything up etc and got it all ready.
    I dont actually have a windows disc but in amongst some things that came with the computer I found a burnt windows XP 64-bit disc with a reg key written on it. Figuring that this would do the trick, I put it in the computer and it started to install it, it restarted and then asked me for the reg key. I entered the one that had been written on it but then it said that it had expired.
    Now I dont know what to do - when I turn the computer on it just comes up with the installation and of course it cannot finish it so it just ends up turning off after a few windows pop up telling me about the "fatal error".
    So now I have found a proper installation disc that I want to put it, but when I put it in, it is not recognised because of this failed installation going on...
    Basically I want to know how I can overthrow this failed installation to install this proper disc.
    Does that make sense? hope I have explained it well enough :)
    Any help would be SOOOO SOOO appreciated!!
    Many thanks,
    Flossy :)
    « Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:58:31 PM by flossy mossy »

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: problems with windows reinstall??
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:13:02 AM »
    First try to set the BIOS to boot from CD first and restart with the windows CD in the drive.

or try a reformat of the hard drive and then try to add windows.
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

flossy mossy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: problems with windows reinstall??
      « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:58:04 PM »
      Hi there, thanks for the help, its all sorted now :):):)